Fatal NETBEUI

slydog 01:29 10 Jan 2003
  slydog 01:29 10 Jan 2003

I set up a PC network link a couple of weeks ago, and on advice loaded the NETBEUI protocal. The link and PC worked fine, but but now every time I shut down my PC I get the blue screen of death telling me that a fatal exception has occurred at 0028:c16226BA in VXD Netbeui. the PC then locks up and I have to reset and then switch off to shut down. I have tried to remove the Netbeui protocol - dial up adaptor, laplink com, and Intel PCI eternet adapter from network settings but this also crashes explorer and cannot be removed. My PC is running Win 98 and there does not seem to be any other side effects and I have now also now disconnected the PC Link. Has any one any ideas how I can solve this annoying problem.

Cheers

Chris

recap 09:51 10 Jan 2003

NetBEUI slydog is used for small networks but, it does not route. What this means is that any routers will not pass the NetBEUI protocol. So basically you are stranded. That is unless you can use bridging between any subnets that you may have, this should then put you back in business.

The only other way of getting rid of the bod is as you have tried unistalling the adaptors. When you have tried this did you get as far as to shutting down the system (full shut down)?

Once you have this sorted use TCP protocol as it is the most widely used of the protocols.

slydog 13:14 10 Jan 2003

Hi Recap, thanks for your comments.
In answer to your query I did shut down atre trying to remove the adapters but mainly because withe explorer crashed The PC was unuseable. However when I rebooted the adapters where still installed.

Can I remove these thro DOS, or would perhaps starting Safe Mode allow me to remove the adapters?

recap 13:57 10 Jan 2003

I would first try the DOS approach to remove the adapters. When removing the adapters on booting back up Windows should inform you it has found a new device, and then ask you for the disc for that device or take it from it's own resources.

I am a little stumped as to why they have not been removed previously though. If when you are in Device Manager and you select Properties and select the Remove button option for the adaper this should have removed the devices software.

slydog 21:00 10 Jan 2003

Thanks Recap you put your finger on it there. By using device manager tochange the settings there are further options than just the add and remove in the Network settings folder.Instead of removing the adapter hardware I was able to disable the hardware profile. Although this still crashed rundll, I was able to shut down and when I restarted the adapter had been removed and I was able to then the ethernet and laplink devices.I had only then to allow windows to set up new devices and I added the protocol you suggested. Blindin job cheers

slydog 21:00 10 Jan 2003

Thanks Recap you put your finger on it there. By using device manager tochange the settings there are further options than just the add and remove in the Network settings folder.Instead of removing the adapter hardware I was able to disable the hardware profile. Although this still crashed rundll, I was able to shut down and when I restarted the adapter had been removed and I was able to then the ethernet and laplink devices.I had only then to allow windows to set up new devices and I added the protocol you suggested. Blindin job cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?