Failure to "Save As Text" a PDF file

thegreypanther 11:37 10 May 2007

I want to use a scanner for OCR purposes.
I have just purchased an Epson V350 scanner, where you can save a document as a PDF file. Having scanned in a page of text, I saved in PDF format then used Adobe Reader v8.0 to "Save As Text"
The result is a blank text file.
Any hints as to where I might be going wrong?
Any chance that an Epson PDF file is not a "proper" PDF file?

Technotiger 11:41 10 May 2007

Hi, you need a PDF converter program - have a look here, courtesy of Google ..

click here

Technotiger 11:42 10 May 2007

Oops - that was something I was doing earlier ..

click here

thegreypanther 12:48 10 May 2007

Tecnotiger, - the suggested program is brilliant. But it still doesn't enable me to convert a PDF file to text using "Save As".
I've tried converting a JPG image and TIFF image into a PDF file using the suggested program. THEY can't be saved as text files in Adobe Reader v8.
Looks like I'm up a gum tree again.....!!

Technotiger 13:58 10 May 2007

Well I use PDF Converter Pro, this does allow saving as a Word doc. I have not used the freebies, but I thought they might do the same.

Technotiger 14:07 10 May 2007

Me again - I have just experimented with Adobe Reader8 .. I saved a PDF file as text, using File>Save as: I then directed it to save in My Documents and it saved successfully as a text file.

thegreypanther 16:44 10 May 2007

I find that I can use Adobe Reader to save a PDF file as a text file if this file has been made using Adobe Acrobat.
Therefore, I now strongly suspect that the Epson V350 scanner, and its software, may save a scanned document as a PDF file, - which can certainly be READ as a PDF document, but that file lacks some attribute or other that enable sit to be saved as a text file.
So Epson have managed to create a different variety of PDF file by the looks of it!??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi A3 Release Date, Price & Specification Rumours

Kristof Davos on how he designed this summer's must-have watch

Best Apple Deals of Amazon Prime Day 2019

Les 12 trucs et astuces Facebook Messenger à connaître