Failed Modem

Quickbeam 10:16 09 Mar 2010

Has anyone had one fail?

I suspect my original Motorola cable modem, supplied by Telewest a good few years ago has packed up. On the light display, the power, receive, send and PC activity lights are on, but 'online' light is not on. I don't know if it should be on anyway as who give much attention to them anyway?

Obviously I can't get on via that, and I am using my phone as a stopgap, I just want to be sure it's packed up before buying another one:(

wiz-king 10:22 09 Mar 2010

I had one pack up a few years ago, the internet got slower and slower and I was getting freezes and dropouts and I eventually phone the cable company (Virgin) and they ran a few tests and an engineer came out a day later - on time - and fitted a new modem.
Note the new ones are Ethernet connected not USB. My speed returned to normal almost instantly.

Quickbeam 11:23 09 Mar 2010

That's good enough for me, I've had intermittent connections and dropouts as well for a while that I put down to server maintenance etc. I'll go to PC world tomorrow.

Diemmess 11:39 09 Mar 2010

I think the lack of light at the online LED is only telling you the obvious - you are not online!

Back in my days with AOL, two Modems in the family played dead and were replaced by redundant ones.
Later still I found a dead one behaved when reinstalled to another "failure".

The essential point as I remember was to follow the installation instructions to the letter- Filters and software first and NOT connect the USB lead until the installation asked for it.

Quickbeam 12:25 09 Mar 2010

Ah! It's come back on now, but it's time is up, it's clearly got a fault.

wiz-king 14:22 09 Mar 2010

If you are on cable then you should get one free! Well - for the agro of a phonecall to the cable people. Phone Virgin on there cable helpline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?