Failed to deliver email not sent by me has my addr

DarrylW 13:22 05 Nov 2015

I have 3 recent emails 'failed to deliver' which were not sent by me nor do I know the email addresses. These emails have texts written in Russian. All have my email address as originator. How can this happen a and how can I stop someone using my email address

Secret-Squirrel 16:28 05 Nov 2015

How can this happen

When spammers send out emails they usually use a made-up return address. Sometimes however they use an address that belongs to someone, so when some of the spam messages can't be delivered, it's the innocent person who gets the undeliverable messages.

how can I stop someone using my email address

You can't do anything about that. Don't worry though, the problem should go away soon

DarrylW 17:03 05 Nov 2015

Thank you 'secret-squirrel'. With all the criminal activity out there it is quite worrying for surfers who are not fully au fait with the mysteries of the net.

Forum Editor 19:08 05 Nov 2015

Someone is spoofing your email address. Frankly, you are lucky if you have only received three 'failed to deliver' messages. It's quite common for people to receive hundreds of them in a day, and it can go on for days.

If you start getting lots of these, just change your email account password. That usually does the trick.

Make sure your anti-virus and malware applications are up to date, and run full computer scans, just in case.

Secret-Squirrel 19:35 05 Nov 2015

...........just change your email account password. That usually does the trick.

No it won't. Anyone can send an email using someone else's address. No password is required to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)