Hot Topics

F drive is appearing on my computer but

laptopdunce 16:07 14 Aug 2016

I am getting an F drive ESP appearing on my computer, it is showing as being 246mb free of 296mb, I have a feeling this was an SD card that I trasnferred some photos from, but there are no other USB drives or otherwise connected to my laptop but this F drive keeps appearing, what should I do? is there a way to delete it? when I click on it to open it it comes up with a banner saying "you do not have permission to access this folder" and then "continue" when I click this it says I have been denied access to this folder again and to go to the security tab, but I cant get into that, what should I do? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

lotvic 23:17 18 Aug 2016

ESP is the EFI System Partition, explanation click here some update or other glitch has caused it to have mistakenly been assigned a drive letter (it shouldn't have a drive letter). One way is to remove the inappropriate assigned drive letter in Disk Management.

laptopdunce 11:38 19 Aug 2016

I see, now that I have done that command prompt (admin) that was suggested earlier and I have gone into Administrator and then reboot it seems to have disappeared, its just very odd that this has happened on two of the very same laptops, one in UK and one in The Netherlands. I will do that command prompt thing when I am back in The Netherlands and see if it makes it disappear from the "this computer" folder too. I wonder why this recovery partition could have been assigned a drive letter on both laptops, (this one I use in the UK only showed the F ESP drive when I turned it on last tuesday, like the way the Dutch laptop did so a few days earlier - could it be the updates that have caused this? I did have a similar problem with updates in that windows updates for Windows 8.1 means that I cannot delete photos on an SD camera card, whereas I can do so on my windows 7 "spare" laptop, I just have a feeling this could be the updates have caused this, as both laptops are only used for transferring photos, simple emails, ebay and simple surfing, no gaming or downloading or anything complex. thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 11:48 19 Aug 2016

|PS when I look at disk management now from the start menu it is showing (on the UK laptop) the top secton "volume" has three drive icons with simple, basic, healthy, 600mb 300mb and 15.3gb then underneath there is Disc 0 Basic 9321.39gb healthy, next box: grey diaganol stripes in this box with 600mb (healthy recovery) then a plain box with 300mb EFI, then ACER C 915.5gb NTFS Healthy (boot, crash, page file etc.,) and last box 15.36gb Healthy (recvoery partition) no sign of any other drives, only the DVD drive that has a disk in it. there are two boxes at the bottom left of this window, one black with unassigned and one blue with Primary partition, looks like its only the 4 boxes in disc 0 that are striped with the blue colour. does that mean its all OK? thanks Laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:24 19 Aug 2016

Disc 0 is your one and oly hard drive dived into 4? partitions.

600mb (healthy recovery) is created when you install or update windows, it is the hidden X drive when windows store its recovery tools startup repair etc. These are automatically accessed if windows fails to bot correctly three time on the trot.

300mb EFI, is the boot partition where all the boot files and disk encryption keys are stored there is no drive letter because it is hidden for secure boot reasons - it is possible to allocate a drive letter and see what files are on there, but if you mess with the files on it your laptop will not boot up. This is the one I suspect may be showing up as your F:

ACER C 915.5gb NTFS Healthy (boot, crash, page file etc.,) is your main windows drive that (C:) that + the DVD (D:) is the only thing you should see in explorer.

last box 15.36gb Healthy (recvoery partition) - this is the one created by Acer containing a factory image to return your machine to new state. If you have updated from win 8 to 10 then this will return you to win 8 or you can just delete it and merge with C: to regain the space. ( make win 10 recovery media on USB or DVD before deleting although its useful as a last resort.)

href is what mine looks like I used the windows snipping tool and uploaded the picture to Tinypic and posted the links. can you do the same for yours?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 19 Aug 2016

link didn't work [IMG][click here]1

laptopdunce 14:36 19 Aug 2016

Hi, I have made a screenshot of how the Disk management box looks like and also the "this computer" now looks like, but can I upload that here to show you? that tinypic link only brings up a programme to load a photo from my computer to, and the other href one doesnt open anything. this laptop is only windows 8.1, I used that special programme to stop windows from sending the constant upgrade messages to W10!! I dont want it!! I did download it to my other (same) laptop in Nederland and it was a total pain in the a&&e!! computer wouldnt reboot!! so I used this special programme which was on BBC radio 4 about how to block and stop Windows from hijacking my computer, I really dont trust W10 and have only just heard on BBC radio 4 about lots of people who bought a completely new computer with W10 and what a nightmare it is. Let me know If I click on the "image" icon here I only get an option to upload the jpeg URL which I have no idea what that means! Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 14:42 19 Aug 2016

right, mine looks similar to that but "different" but I cant seem to load it here to show you, at "image" icon on the top bar here wants a jpeg URL and I dont know where to find that, Ihave made two pics of the disck management and this computer but they are PNG images and I cant find a URL to add to the photo box here. What should I do? thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 14:46 19 Aug 2016

src let me know if this works?? this is the photo of the my computer

laptopdunce 14:49 19 Aug 2016

[IMG][click here]1 does this work?? the last one didnt show anything

laptopdunce 14:53 19 Aug 2016

[IMG]

this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is just too much

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

New MacBook Air could be coming soon

Comment recycler un téléphone portable ?