Hot Topics

F drive is appearing on my computer but

laptopdunce 16:07 14 Aug 2016

I am getting an F drive ESP appearing on my computer, it is showing as being 246mb free of 296mb, I have a feeling this was an SD card that I trasnferred some photos from, but there are no other USB drives or otherwise connected to my laptop but this F drive keeps appearing, what should I do? is there a way to delete it? when I click on it to open it it comes up with a banner saying "you do not have permission to access this folder" and then "continue" when I click this it says I have been denied access to this folder again and to go to the security tab, but I cant get into that, what should I do? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 14 Aug 2016

does it appear in disk management?

laptopdunce 16:30 14 Aug 2016

where do i look for that??

laptopdunce 16:38 14 Aug 2016

think I have found that, it is showing a small grey window with 4 volumes, the last is Acer data C, and then underneath there is only Disc O, which is the Acer C and is shwoing as 913gb free and 15.odd used and "healthy, and then a CD rom zero with "No media" (as there is no disk loaded) so it looks like this F drive isnt appearing but the first part of the table does show 3 "volumes" and only 1 "Acer Data C" the others have smaller volumes of 300mb 600mb and 15.3gb all healthy and 100% free, but no description of what these 3 sets of volumes were. thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 16:47 14 Aug 2016

PS, I do have a feeling that this ESP F drive is a 4gb camera SD card as when I do put it into the laptop slot it pings a few times as though it isnt connected properly intil I wiggle it and can get the photos to transfer, in the properties on this F drive it says there is 49.1mb used and 246 mb free but I cant see that being right as I have never put a drive in that is less than 4gb, just a thought Laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 14 Aug 2016

WIndows 7?

smaller volumes of 300mb 600mb and 15.3gb in 8 or 10 are system recovery partitions and shouldn't be empty

laptopdunce 19:16 15 Aug 2016

its a windows 8.1 laptop, this has only just started appearing, under the Disc "0" under the 4 volumes in the disk managemnent it does say Disc 0 931.1gb online, then a little set of "boxes" with 600mb recovery partition (healthy) then 300mb recovery partition (healthy) then a wider box with Acer C 915.15gb NTFS - healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, partition, then the last box with 15.36gb (healthy) recovery partition - do you think it is all OK? the laptop is working fine other than this ESP (F) drive appearing in the folder "this PC" that I have on the task bar, thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 19:19 15 Aug 2016

Its in "devices and drives" section under "fodlers" which have all my doucments, pictures, downlaods, videos, music and desktop in that "this PC" tab. thanks laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 15 Aug 2016

I suspect its been upgraded from win 8 to 8.1 hence the 2 small recovery partitions C is the main driv where your windows and files are and the 15.36gb is the laptop recovery partition put on by Acer containing a recovery image of the drive to reset it to factory condition. All these are fine.

The f drive is a phantom because windows doesn't always remove drive information from he registry when you unplug or remove USb or SD cards. try using ccleaner to clean the registry

laptopdunce 21:13 15 Aug 2016

Ah, I think that might be it! I bought these two laptops last year in England (same model 1 tb with a pentium N3530 processor, last time I did a malwarebyte scan on this computer (in Holland) it did bring up a few of those PUP things, so I then did the CCleaner and registry on this laptop, I will try it again and see if it goes, as this F drive (which is normally assigned to an external USB stick when I put ones of those in) has only appeared I would say in the last 10 days, around about the time I did the antimalware and CCLean scans, will try them again and see if it gets rid of them, just looks very odd when this F drive ESP has never been there before, will let you know how I get on, thanks Laptopdunce (I dont think my UK laptop is showing this ESP drive, I will be there tomorrow and have a look!!

laptopdunce 10:39 18 Aug 2016

This is really WEIRD!! I am now in the UK on the same laptop (different one but same model) where the F drive appeared on my other laptop, now I find that in the folders tab that the F drive ESP is ALSO appearing on my UK laptop, I think this must be something to do with a "timed out mechanism" that has made this ESP F drive appear, it is EXACTLY the same as is appearing on my Dutch laptop, - ESP (F) 246mb free of 296mb. I wonder what is causing this?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Report says rental e-scooters will be legal on UK roads from Saturday

How are agencies approaching hiring creatives of colour?

Big Sur brings us closer to a Mac/iPad hybrid... or does it?

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)