Extracting drivers from recovery partition

betrachter23 09:30 03 Jul 2018

Hey all,

i posted this some time ago on the Windows forum, without luck. I thought i'd give it another shot here...

So, here´ s my problem: a friend bought a Laptop on Amazon, chinese brand, never heard of. It stopped working because somehow Windows downloaded update after update without wiping anything and eventually the whole hard disk was full. Only thing that worked was a new install of Windows 10- did this, everything works excdept for ethernet & audio cards. I tried everything to find those drivers; no luck. Most sites are in chinese which doesn't really help, so my question is: is it possible to retrieve the original drivers from the - still untouched - recovery partition? If so, how to do this? I forgot most of my Windows skills, using Linux for quite some time now, so working with a terminal is a pain at the moment :o( I'd be glad if someone could point me in the right direction here. Would be a real shame if we couldn't revive this machine, it's actually quite nice. Thanks!

Jollyjohn 10:04 03 Jul 2018

Quick fix - use a wifi dongle to connect to the internet and see if Windows finds drivers for ethernet and audio card??

betrachter23 16:24 03 Jul 2018

If all else fails (which seems likely at this point), i will try and do that. Since i have to buy a dongle, this is really the last resort- i don't really believe that drivers from a unknown chinese manufacturer can be found in Windows's vaults. We shall see, thanks for your reply!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 03 Jul 2018

You will need to mount the recovery image to extract any drivers from it

Access the recovery partition and find out what type of recovery image you have then we can tell you how to mount the image.

I sure I said this before in your other thread.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple