external hdd on win 10, power (fan) but no spin up

theDarkness 15:38 29 Dec 2015

Today, my external hard drive stopped working in windows 10.

On my first attempt at connecting via usb, it spun down after around 5 seconds. The power light showed upon connection, and didn't spin for long, before finally switching off completely. Upon my second attempt, the power and fan remained on, but with no reading-spinning of the drive itself, so I was able to take the usb lead back out with no chance of error. The external drive did not show under devices on the last occasion.

On amazon there are reports of power switcher problems inside this model, but as with every external hdd, there are always bad reviews relating to power issues with every single popular drive. Perhaps I should simply leave the drive for now until I purchase a new system or external to copy my files over assuming it allows me to connect again in 7 or perhaps even 10 after an update, as I do not have room to back them all up. I normally have a backup of everything, but the external is currently temporary storage.

I have had a problem with the same drive in the past, but the issue was the power supply smoking, which I was able to swap for another adapter under guarantee. Certainly not a model I would consider buying again, but at best it could just be (another) windows 10 bug, this time with usb2 or 3 rather than what is currently being complained about the most (incompatible security software causing interface issues).

It's a Seagate 2 TB USB 3, 3.5 Inch external. What does anyone believe the issue could be, or would recommend to test it? Thanks.

theDarkness 15:46 29 Dec 2015

I forgot to state that after the 10 issue, I had then taken it upstairs to connect to the 7 system, which worked with it fine. No switch off or spin down in 7, only in 10. I no longer have 8.1 to test.

I normally use HDDSpin to spin down my external drive when it is not being read or written to, rather than simply removing any cable, avoiding that clicking sound of a drive stopped suddenly. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 29 Dec 2015

dounds like a power problem with the usb port.

ave you tried other ports?

the rear ports are often better as they are direct off the board rather than through headers such as the front ports.

My latest PC has problems with USB2 external drives both win 8.1 and 10 (no problems with the USB3) I now run the drives through a powered hub without problems.

theDarkness 16:53 29 Dec 2015

I forgot to mention they are both laptop systems. On the acer system with 10, I have one usb3 coloured port on the left, and two usb2 on the right. On the msi 7 system I have four usb2 ports, two each side. The usb3 coloured port on 10 was what I had tried initially, which had the hdd going off completely. I tried usb3 more than once, and the results were quite random, either going off or staying on, with no device listing in windows. I don't think there was a link with how the drive acted with usb2 and 3.

I am now wary of using the drive again just in case it truly is failing, if after a few connections in 7 it decides not to show. Some users for the same model of hdd on amazon state a docking station solved their own power issue, although unlike them I am still receiving power on one computer. I haven't been changing any HDDSpin power management options or relevant windows power options for any connected devices, so I don't know what could be causing it, other than an issue in 10 or a failing drive. I would have thought it would be acting the same in 7, but it doesn't seem to be.

Another edit: my previous adapter was buzzing, rather than smoking. I thought the problem could still be power related as I wondered if this previous adapter could have caused any damage. Perhaps not. I think the majority of tools cannot predict how long it will take for any drive to fail. I think I have tried the read-write speeds were fine beforehand. HDDScan includes a smart test, and did not show any problems. Thanks for the reply.

theDarkness 17:16 29 Dec 2015

update-I've connected it to usb3 just now once again on windows 10, looking at device manager there is an exclamation mark. The hard drive has gone off completely after 5 seconds again. I've tried restarting, but I receive the same error.

USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Compatible Device Port#0005.Hub#0003 Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38) The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

theDarkness 18:07 29 Dec 2015

I've tried the windows troubleshooter and had it search for device issues. I'm still having problems with the drive remaining on, but usb2 is showing the device now in windows 10, so it's a usb3 windows 10 problem with this particular system.

Uninstalling the device driver or disabling, then rebooting, doesn't make a difference. The drivers seem to be automatically loaded upon connection. Perhaps I can stop that, but I can only guess that a windows 10 update has caused this problem as I havent installed anything recently. After a search I can see that this code 38 usb problem has been showing up also on 7 and 8. I may try a restore if a later windows update does not fix the problem.

Aitchbee 22:35 29 Dec 2015

Have you tried Seagate Drive Setting which can be downloaded from their support website.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:58 30 Dec 2015

disconnect the device

search for USBdeview from Nirsoft and install (free)

it will show all USB devices, by using this to remove the device it will delete the driver info from the registry.

Reboot and reconnect the device and it will be reinstalled.

Another good program is USBdrive clean that will do a similar thing.

theDarkness 18:49 30 Dec 2015

Thanks to both of your replies. Yesterday I tried uninstalling the serial bus USB controllers as suggested here, but it didn't help. It definitely seems to be an unknown device driver loading up (or present registry entry) conflicting with the usb hdd. I thought it might relate to the human interface in the device manager, but after trying USBdeview it shows the unknown device in a different port.

I disconnected all usb devices from the laptop (essentially just the mouse), disabled and uninstalled the unknown device in USBdeview with a true reset, holding down the shift key in windows 10. It made no difference, although the drive worked correctly after that with usb2. USBOblivion also attempts to remove past USB device entries, but again, it could not remove any registry entry.

The driver was automatically loaded on the next startup. Trying to delete the registry entries manually seems to not be permitted because the entry has protected subkeys. A tool such as Regdelnull might do the job but I don't know if it's compatible with 8 or 10, and it's command prompt only.

As a last resort I tried uninstalling all USB hosts in the device manager, then for the Human Interface Device properties, switching power management off. After another shutdown, the external drive is no longer switching off via usb3. I don't know which fixed it, as turning power management back on doesnt made the drive switch off after restarting and reconnecting.

The unknown device still shows in USBdeview, so the registry entry is still present, but so far everything is ok. I no longer have a yellow icon next to any USB devices. I can only assume if someone attempts to reconnect that unknown device, that the same thing could happen again. An 8-10 compatible alternative program to Regdelnull with a GUI could remove the registry entry more easily. This is how the entries look now, I'm not sure why there are so many USB Video devices showing:-

screenshots

screen1 device manager

screen2 usbdeview (before)

screen3 registry

screen4 usbdeview (present)

1]: [click here 2]: [click here 3]: [click here 4]: [click here 5]: [click here 6]: [click here 7]: [click here click here click here

8: 9:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?