Hot Topics

External HDD drops out after 6 mins

awest3 12:51 11 Oct 2019
Answered

Hi, I have an 750 Gb Maxtor one touch external HDD. Its drops connection to the PC after about 6 mins and does not reconnect. If I leave the drive for about 30 mins it will then connect again for approx. 6 mins but then drops out again. I've taken it out of its casing and connected it directly to the PC via a USB 2 connection. It does exactly the same (this rules out casing or cable being a problem, as its connected to USB 2 it also rules out the dropping and reconnecting problem of USB 3). Once it drops it is not seen by any Disk management systems, for all intents and purposes its not there. The HDD does not seem to over heat (which is what I originally suspected as it drops off at more less the same time), I put a fan on it to keep cool but it was just the same.I just want to be able to get all the data off and the I'll dump. Any ideas on how I can keep it connected for more than 6 mins. Thanks Al

wee eddie 15:39 11 Oct 2019

Quick question: If you try to run some other piece of USB Equipment, continuously for more than 6 minutes, is there any problem?

awest3 15:56 11 Oct 2019

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry should have said, its not my HDD. Problem started on a different PC.

I have no other USB issues, all working fine.

wee eddie 16:28 11 Oct 2019

This could be quite ancient: Does it have an External Power Supply?

Maybe, if you are trying to run it on USB alone, you are overloading the USB Circuit

awest3 17:04 11 Oct 2019

yes it's quite old, it has its own power supply which is working ok.

wee eddie 17:34 11 Oct 2019

We are looking at a Drive that was designed to work with Windows XP and '98se. Very long in the tooth and you may need to find suitable Drivers as, although it is "Plug & Play", that was close to 20 years ago.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 11 Oct 2019

Its a known issue with the sleep mode in those drives and seagate issued a firmware update 10 yrs ago. Unfortunately the link to the update is no longer active.

However customer support may be able to help you.

x13 20:13 11 Oct 2019

If Windows 10 try Settings - System - Power and sleep then Additional power settings. Select Change power settings in your plan then Change advanced power settings. Scroll down to USB settings - USB selective suspend settings and disable. Might work.

awest3 16:51 13 Oct 2019

Thanks for these suggestions, unfortunately the power setting change made no difference. I've emailed Seagate to see if I can get hold of the fix mentioned. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

awest3 12:51 15 Oct 2019
Answer

I managed to get hold of the firmware update from another source. Unfortunately I cant keep the drive going long enough to apply it. I'm going to try a PCB from an old 750 drive I have, after that I'm afraid all I can do copy whatever I can given the time restriction then bin the thing. Thanks for your help.... Al

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Resident Evil 3 review

Online portfolios: how to get your work out there while staying in

Apple 'to drop support for Apple Watch Series 2'

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour voitures (2020)