External HDD

  carper 09:39 16 Dec 2007

I am installing an external hard drive which I wish to alternate between my PC and my lap top.
On my PC it would be listed as drive K and on my lap top it would show as F. Do I need to establish one name letter.
I am also worried about partitions. Could anyone give me a guide to how many I should have and what names. Any guidance at all would be appreciated.
Regards Carper

  GANDALF <|:-)> 09:45 16 Dec 2007

You do not need any partitions on an external disk and they have no benefit. The name letter is not really relevant so long as you know what letter the drive is.


  MAJ 09:48 16 Dec 2007

As it's only for storing data, no you don't need to have one drive letter. You haven't said how large the drive is, but it's not necessary to have partitions (what's the point), just save your different files in different folders.

  skidzy 09:53 16 Dec 2007

Me....i named my main external drive Z,this just saves any confusion as this is the main backup drive holding my ATI images and would not want to lose those due to a silly error of not noticing the drive letter.

In my view i have to agree,forget the partitions.

As Maj says,create new folders...maybe call them Laptop and Desktop.

  carper 13:56 16 Dec 2007

Thanks for your prompt replies. Just a further point which I omitted, can I store programmes in it and use the same as from my ordinary drives rather than just use it for storage purposes although that will be my main use for home videos. Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?