External hdd

stlucia 12:49 23 Apr 2004

I want to add a large HDD to use for backup. All my bays are full, but I've got three positions left on my Maxtor IDE adaptor card and a couple of spare leads on my PSU.

In simple terms I was hoping to be able to take an IDE cable and power cable from inside my case to a HDD mounted in an external box. Any advice on how best to do this, or should I look for something that just plugs into my USB 1 socket? My OS is Win 98SE.

byfordr 12:54 23 Apr 2004

Don't mess around...get a Maxtor One-touch. Looks the part on your desk, joy to use. Fast! click here Works on either usb (usb 2 if you have it) or firewire.

R

stlucia 13:09 23 Apr 2004

Thanks byfordr. Couldn't find the Maxtor on e-buyer, but found it on another site at £195 for 250Mb. But there's a Panasonic Super Disk 240mb External USB on e-buyer which looks interesting at £138.

But I'd still like to use my spare IDE ports if practical (and cheaper) ...

stlucia 13:17 23 Apr 2004

Oops! The Panasonic is not 240Mb (or even Gb!). That's just a model number.

byfordr 13:47 23 Apr 2004

click here

If not Simply, Komplett, Ebuyer just do a search for one touch

£190 250gb firewire/usb 7200rpm I would advise it over the 300gb 5400 rpm version The biggest throttle would be usb 1 (1.1?) If you have a spare pci would seriously recommend a firewire card. A internal hard drive and an external caddy would cost about the same as the maxtor, really can't see any advantage to do it this way, unless you have a spare high capacity hd.

stlucia 13:53 23 Apr 2004

Yes. I've been doing a bit of browsing following your first suggestion, and the ready-to-go Maxtor solution seems to be hardly any more expensive than any d.i.y. thing I could put together. Plus it seems to have the software which will give me a one-touch backup of my existing drives. 250Gb will do nicely, and I think I've already got a spare firewire socket.

byfordr 13:55 23 Apr 2004

They are a joy the use...nice and portable as well. Enjoy.

R

stlucia 08:40 29 Apr 2004

Installed it last night using firewire and 98SE. Brilliant!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?