External HD lights up but can't access

collinsc 19:32 18 Dec 2018

My Dad's external HD (Seagate freeagent 320GB) is lighting up when connected to the laptop, however it doesnt come up in file explorer. I dont know the last time my Dad used it, poss a year ago. Any advice to access greatly appreciated! thanks

wee eddie 21:36 18 Dec 2018

I assume that you have it plugged into the Mains

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 18 Dec 2018

does it show in device manager?

collinsc 21:02 20 Dec 2018

its a small one tat doesnt plug into mains... only one connection... that plugs into laptop/PC (Unless im missing something?)

just had a look at device manager... would it com under "disk drives"? theres only one showing under that... i make an assumption it is the laptop disk drive?

wee eddie 23:38 20 Dec 2018

Some need 2 USB Cables to deliver sufficient power

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 21 Dec 2018
  1. try a different port on the laptop.

2. try it in another machine

3. try it though a powered USB HUB

collinsc 16:18 25 Dec 2018

wee eddie - ah yeh, no this has just the one port fruit bat - thanks tried all 3, no luck :(

wee eddie 16:57 25 Dec 2018

I can only think that it was unplugged without going through the normal formalities and Windows happened to be reading it at the time

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 25 Dec 2018

Does it show in disk management on the 2nd PC?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 25 Dec 2018

click here according to this video - open in the case and disconnecting the led appears to help with a read write issue. If you get the drive oyt uf the case you could also try conneting it direct to a stat port on a PC and see if it shows in disk management then.

Until you can see it in disk management you will not beable touse any form of data recovery on it.

collinsc 21:45 25 Dec 2018

thanks very much, its the 320gb version we have. ive found link on how to open the 320gb version click here im not sure what to do once im in? :)

sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)