external hard drive suddenly stopped working

callum581 21:50 22 Feb 2010

for a couple of days now, i haven't been able to access my external hard drive (from any computer). the drive doesn't show up in 'my computer' if it is connected from when i boot the machine and if i connect it after windows starts up and then try to access 'my computer', the entire function of 'my computer' freezes (nothing happens if i right click or left click or anything).

if i have it connected from boot, the drive still shows up in the device manager and it doesn't appear as yellow so the computer seems to think it's working fine; until i try to do anything like uninstall the driver or disable it, at which point, my computer freezes again.

this may seem really stupid but i have a sneaking suspicion that the problem might have come from my girlfriend's computer as i lent her the hard drive and when i got it back, found an infection on it. however, i papped the infected files in the vault and the hdd worked fine for about a week before any problems arose.

am i going to need to send it for data recovery or can anyone offer a simple solution?

Technotiger 21:57 22 Feb 2010

If you go to the Drives' Makers website, you might be able to download a Diagnostic/Repair facility - though I have never had to do this myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?