External Hard Drive query

  SaraF 18:07 23 Oct 2005

This might sound stupid, but should I be able to see a USB connected External HDD on My Computer as a separate drive? If not how do I move files to it?

I've just installed a Maxtor 6Y160 using a USB2 connection. Its got its own power supply. There's an icon in the System Tray to "Safely Remove Hardware" and the driver installed correctly - ie no error messages.

Any help appreciated.

  Forum Editor 18:23 23 Oct 2005

the drive should show in 'My computer' as a separate drive, and Windows will assign it a drive letter.

Has the drive been formatted?

  SaraF 22:06 23 Oct 2005

Probably not - how do I format it?

  ami 23:24 23 Oct 2005

As you can't 'see' the drive you can't format it in the way you would with an internal drive.
Seagate have a utility specifically for this purpose which I've used successfully and this looks like Maxtor's version.

click here Downloads/View By Category/Desktop Storage/Maxtor Other/Utilities&downloadID=57

  ami 23:31 23 Oct 2005

Incidentally, until the drive is formatted it won't appear either in Explorer or My Computer and you won't be able to use it to move or copy files to.
If Maxtor's utility is anything like Seagates then it's just a matter of downloading the file, plugging in your external drive and running the downloaded programme which then finds the drive and 'talks you through' the formatting process. Once done then the drive is visible and ready to use.

  SaraF 08:10 24 Oct 2005

Thanks very much, I'll try it tonight.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 24 Oct 2005

Type diskmgmt.msc in the run box

the drive should show up there select it and format it as required.

  SaraF 20:02 25 Oct 2005


diskmgmt.msc worked. Thanks so much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?