external hard drive problems

wc86b 19:58 27 Nov 2008

i am asenior citizen and new to pcs,have just installed a plug and play external hard drive to back up my data but am unable to transfer data to external drive,i would appreciate any help or advice

AL47 20:05 27 Nov 2008

does it appear in the 'my computer' menu

[take it you are using windows computer?]

BurrWalnut 20:08 27 Nov 2008

As it’s new, have you partitioned/formatted it?

Presumably XP, so go to Start > Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. Right-click the unallocated space and set up the disk.

Woolwell 20:31 27 Nov 2008

Before following BurrWalnut's advice it would be good to know what brand and model of hard drive you have. My external hard drive was plug and play and did not need formatting.

tullie 20:33 27 Nov 2008

I had to format mine to ntfs as it was fat32.

wc86b 20:54 27 Nov 2008

the hard drive in question is medion make and the model is the HDDrive 2 GO,this model too does not need formatting.being a newcomer to computing i may be doing something wrong

DieSse 21:18 27 Nov 2008

AL47 question is important as a first step - does it appear in My Computer as a new drive?

Woolwell 21:19 27 Nov 2008

Have you done what AL47 asked?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:53 27 Nov 2008

Medion PC?
you can use the HDDrive 2 go completely cable-free and without any external power adaptor just plug it directly into the extension bay. For all other PCs/notebooks you use the disk drive via USB cable and the external power adaptor.

DieSse 00:48 30 Nov 2008

Answer by email - note please answer in the thread, then everybody can see it, and you'll maybe get more help sooner.

"i have checked and found that my external hard drive shows as a new drive on my computer"

DieSse 00:54 30 Nov 2008

Then it's there and ready for you to copy or backup whatever you want to it.

You may simply copy to it - or you can use a free backup program, such as Comodo Backup

click here

Or you can use a more comprehensive program such as Acronis True Image

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?