External hard drive listed but nor recognised

Midnight_Cowboy 19:14 16 Jan 2018

I have had a good look around the Internet and on the forum here but no one appears to have posted a problem with their external hard drive quite like mine so I am hoping for some help in solving this.

I am using a back-up software and an external hard drive for, well, back-ups. But all of a sudden the programme doesn’t see the external device any longer – message: no device detected. My OS is Windows 7 (Service Pack 1), by the way.

Here is what I found:

• The hard drive is NOT visible or listed in Libraries
  • But it IS listed in Device Manager, Devices and Printers and under Local Disc (C:) / hardware

In device manager it says that the drive is apparently working perfectly normal and an attempt to update the driver only yielded a note that I have the latest one installed.

I have not yet tried to plug the hard drive into another laptop, as it is in fact recognised by mine. It just doesn’t come up in the folder list and isn’t found by the software.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Toni

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 16 Jan 2018

File system on drive corrupt - see if the drive shows in Disk management and if there is a letter assigned to it - if its there and no letter then right click to assign a letter.

Midnight_Cowboy 13:32 22 Jan 2018

Hi Fruit Bat

Thank you for your reply and sorry I couldn't react sooner. It seems to have worked; absolutely brilliant. I would have never found this on my own, again many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple