External Hard Drive Help Please

cassa27 16:37 14 Nov 2018

Hi,

I'm quite bad with computers so appreciate the help!

I had an old toshiba laptop which came with this hard drive: Ic25n060atmr04-0

I bought this from amazon: USB 3.0 to SATA IDE Hard Drive Disk Adapter Converter by EAXER for 3.5/2.5 Inch IDE/SATA HDD/SSD with Power Supply

However, it doesn't work. It connects the external Hard Drive by usb port and my new Laptop does not recognise it.

1. What can I do to make the hard drive work?

2. What old toshiba laptops could I buy to place the hard drive inside the lap top. I frogot what model my old one was!

Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 14 Nov 2018

I assume you have it connected correctly as in the picture?

1]: [click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 14 Nov 2018

for the 2.5 sata you do not need the power cable.

Do you get a sound when you connect the usb plug to the PC? have you looked in disk management to see if it shows up in there?

cassa27 18:42 14 Nov 2018

It did make a dripping like noise when I first plugged it in - now nothing.

Havent checked dis management :/

cassa27 18:44 14 Nov 2018

My one plugs directly into the black pin slots thing ...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 14 Nov 2018

Then its an IDE drive make sure it i plugged in correctly it is easy on some of these adaptors to get it one hole out.

525kev 17:16 15 Nov 2018

Purchased that very connector and as yet it don't work. Brought a caddy and worked first time in fact I have 3 now housing back up drives for my dash cam footage. This one from Amazon. Inateck Aluminum USB 3.0 Hard Disk Drive Enclosure for 2.5 Inch/ 3.5 Inch SATA HDD and SSD, Support UASP and 10TB Drives (FE3001)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch