External Hard Drive and Backup Software

SURVEY 22:46 16 Nov 2004

I need an external hard drive to backup my internal drive. Also to backup individual files from time to time. The backup software is important so that backing up is a joy rather than a hassle. I have seen some comments on the forum stating that some drives are difficult to initialise; should these not be USB plug and play and recognised as an extra drive on the computer's hard disk? Any views?

Kenneth-266656 20:03 17 Nov 2004

Yes I'm in the process of getting one myself. Once plugged it will come up in Explorer as a temporary drive. You can drag files from it to your main hard drive and vice versa. If you've got XP on then theres your backup.

Bandy 22:23 17 Nov 2004

I ise EZBackitup from click here and find it works very well for my purposes. It's easy to use and easy to create desktop shortcuts for various back up jobs.

banganappa 12:18 24 Nov 2004

Any recommendations for the best hardware at the moment?

stlucia 15:15 24 Nov 2004

You can't go wrong with a Maxtor One Touch.

Simsy 18:44 24 Nov 2004

I've just received an email from you about this...

As I haven't previously posted on this thread I think the site may have erred...

I suspect, from what youwrote to me that it should have been sent to stlucia. I'l alert FE to this.

Please note that (unless invited to specifically), it's generally considered not appropriate to email, but rather to post all correspondance in the thread so that all users of the site may benefit from the exchange.

Content of email is as follows;

"Thanks for your posting. Is the Maxtor just a matter of plugging in the USB (no mains lead?) and is automatically picked up buy the computer's hard drive as an extra drive? What software do you use to backup from the hard drive to the Maxtor? Does the Maxtor it come pre-formatted? Is it noisy? I would much appreciate your views."

Good luck with this.

Regards,

Simsy

Paulius55 19:07 24 Nov 2004

I bought a USB2 2.5" laptop drive case for £8 and a 2.5" laptop drive for £30, both from ebay. This gives me a very small multi-Gb (up to 80, although mine is 20Gb) solution, powered by the USB port and recognised as removable drive by WinXP. Then I use EZBackitup, which is free, and easy to use. Simple, quick and cheap.

SURVEY 20:13 24 Nov 2004

Hi stlucia - Thanks for your posting. Is the Maxtor just a matter of plugging in the USB (no mains lead?) and is automatically picked up buy the computer's hard drive as an extra drive? What software do you use to backup from the hard drive to the Maxtor? Does the Maxtor it come pre-formatted? Is it noisy? I would much appreciate your views."

freaky 21:25 24 Nov 2004

I use a Maxtor One Touch plus Norton Ghost.

The Maxtor uses a USB (best to have USB 2) if you have not got USB 2 then buy yourself A PCI Card to give you USB 2.

It also has it's own power supply.

In order to use Norton Ghost with a Maxtor One Touch you need to have the latest version of Ghost.

Hope this information helps.

MIke 21:39 24 Nov 2004

I use a Western Digital USB2 external hard drive. Just plug it in the mains and plug it in the usb port. Under XP it is recognised immediately, no drivers to load.

As for backup software I use Version Backup from click here (the free version) with this software you simply browse to the folders you want to backup, then chose a destination (a folder on your new external drive) then set a backup schedule. Personally I chose the option to backup when windows is started for the first time each day. That's iteach time a switch on an incremantal backup of the previous days changed files is made without me having to think about it.

woodchip 21:45 24 Nov 2004

If you are XP the OS will load drivers for the USB drive but if 98 or ME you will have to load drivers from the CD you get with the Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?