external hard drive

  mrcrow 16:39 24 Apr 2006

i am going to upgrade my pc to 2.0 usb using a controller so i can back up my data on an external hard drive
i have been pricing the off the shelf ones and seem to be a bit pricey for a 7200 model..around £80
i think i could put one together using a case and hard drive separates..
what does this entail by way of gear i need to buy...the case and hard drive seem obvious but i dont know much beyond this
ie..do i need to get a drivers cd and a power source..although i would prefer usb method of power and will only be needing 40 Gb as that is the size of my onboard drives.
2.5 or 3.5 seems to be another choice i have..
i really wanted to just buy a plug and play one but as i stated..the £££ were more than i thought and i dont need 100Gb etc.

  johndrew 16:48 24 Apr 2006

Have a look at Maplins click here I don`t think you could put one together for any less and you have a warranty.

  Greengage 16:52 24 Apr 2006

You can pick up a 80Gb hard drive (Maxtor 7200rpm) for about £30 and the enclosure for about £15/20. You will only need specific drivers if you are not on Windows XP - in any case drivers for Win 98 should come with the enclosure.

  mrcrow 20:16 24 Apr 2006

thanks both...if i buy an enclosure does it come ready for power input via usb etc...
i have been emailing some internet sites but they say they do not advise on tech matters
ps i can get a 80 seagate like the one in shown in maplins for £57.80 plus postage
i did want maxtor but see seagete have taken over or aquired maxtor...and your comment about warranty is well taken
any further info please..if possible

  ajm 21:05 24 Apr 2006

Staples had a offer for a 250GB for £69.99

  woodchip 21:09 24 Apr 2006

Caddy as a Mains adapter. You can only power a 2.5" laptop drive from USB

  mrcrow 22:55 24 Apr 2006

"Caddy as a Mains adapter. You can only power a 2.5" laptop drive from USB"

i thought there were 3.5" plug and play types available ...and using only usb for power...could be wrong here...
what is caddy...

  johnnyrocker 23:30 24 Apr 2006

is an external carrier/unit for hard drive.


  woodchip 11:10 25 Apr 2006

You need a Mains Adapter for 3.5 External Drive. One should be supplied with Caddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?