External hard disk

B.J. 21:10 07 Aug 2008

Thanks to your help my PC is now usable and quick again. On your advice I downloaded CC Cleaner it really is FREE and fantastic!
While I was looking for a fix I downloaded all my photos onto CDs. Now I'm thinking of buying an external hard disk. I have thousands of pictures and I reckon a 500GB portable disk would do it. Has anybody else done this and does it work ?
Any advice please ? B.J.

MsTechie 21:17 07 Aug 2008

An external drive is good for temporary but they are still volatile, meaning there is a possibility for errors i.e drive crashing, cant access data etc, a better long term solution is to burn your pics to DVD-Rs and store them safely away.

woodchip 21:19 07 Aug 2008

better still on both

manrow 21:38 07 Aug 2008

MsTechie you specified DVD-Rs, are they so different from DVD+Rs?

woodchip 21:41 07 Aug 2008

No, its what your drive works with what matters

Quiet Life 21:47 07 Aug 2008

click here I bought one of these last month in Portugal at Staples for €109. Why so dear in UK a mystery. It is USB when connected to PC and has HDMI,Scart,Composite and coaxial outputs to the TV. I automatically plays slide shows of photos which can be controlled with a remote.

B.J. 09:40 08 Aug 2008

Thank's again for your help folks.I couldn't keep this contraption running if it wasn't for the helproom and you folks on it !
I like the sound of your ext' disk QL but I was looking for something less fancy (cheaper) just so that my PC will work OK and that I can look and sort my pics when I've got a minute.(Backed up on DVDs or CDs). Are there any special prices out there at the moment...?
B.J.

woodchip 12:39 08 Aug 2008

You can make up your own, using a USB caddy and fit your own Hard Drive

Woolwell 13:33 08 Aug 2008

Agree with MsTechie. I have an external hard drive and found that some photos had become corrupted. Fortunately I had them backed-up on a DVD too.
Nowadays most drives will write to - or + DVD, but may have a preference. DVD players for TV's, etc may only like one type of DVD, for example my relatively old Panasonic player will only take - format.

crosstrainer 14:32 08 Aug 2008

....Never have enough backups! I have my photo and music collections backed up in 4 places. (call me paranoid, but DVD and CD media degrades over time, and HDD's fail)

ventanas 15:39 08 Aug 2008

Mine are on an external hard drive(now 1Tb), a second internal hard drive, and DVD (twice)
Call me paranoid as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?