Explorer.exe error on startup, blackscreen

SnappyHD 09:29 19 Mar 2016

I recently installed a Windows theme and the file came with explorer.exe, I replaced it with my current explorer.exe but it kept showing me an error saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)." Once I restarted my PCs it just showed up with a black screen after the login and the error message returns, I am able to press ctrl alt del but I have found no solution in task manager or regedit yet. When I run explorer.exe from task manager it just shows the error. Please help, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 19 Mar 2016

this error is usually caused by an unregistered .dll file in the program you are trying to run.

I would normally use a programs called Autoruns from MS to find out which dll and then sort it is registry editor - because you cant get into windows, I think you will need to do a system restore by going into advanced boot options for your version of windows.

What version of windows V 7 8 8.1 10?

Not sure if running sfc /scannow from task manager would work but possibly worth a try.

Svol 12:10 19 Mar 2016

You could try a Windows System Restore to restore the system to a previous point in time before the problem occurred.

• Press the keyboard Windows Icon and the 'R' key combination together to open a 'Run' window.
  • Type 'RSTRUI.EXE' and click 'OK'
  • Click 'Next'
  • Click 'Show more restore points'
  • Select a desired 'Date / Time' restore point and click 'Next' to commence the restore process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)