Explore.exe "end program" whilst shutting down PC

windy miller 10:27 15 Jan 2004

When turning off my WINXP Pro PC it displayed a prompt saying "Explore.exe-end program", which it did and when I re-booted Windows it said a fatal error occured and do I send a report. I've successfully turned the PC on-off a number of times since and it's gone, but what caused the problem in the first place and what should I do if it reappears?

Thanks,
Matt.

spikeychris 10:39 15 Jan 2004

These tings just happen sometimes. If you want to see whats happening then type eventvwr.msc into run and open the files, look for the red crosses........

©®@$? 10:57 15 Jan 2004

it just means that explorer is busy doing something and it takes longer than the requested time-out

there is a tweak you can aply to the registry that will auto shutsdown programs

Automatically Ending Non-Responsive Tasks

Start Regedit Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\AutoEndTasks Set the value to be 1 In the same section, change the WaitToKillAppTimeout to the number of milliseconds you want

p.s backup the registry before you apply any edit i will not be held responsible for any mistakes

whatsupdoc 10:59 15 Jan 2004

I KNOW ITS OFF TOPIC BUT FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I GOT THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH ON XP.FATAL EXP,. IT REBOOTED AND NOTHING UNTOWARD SINCE. DONT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT PAGE FAULTS ETC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts