Expertise on new printer purchase

salrid 23:08 04 Mar 2006

I have a really old but still great HP Deskjet 815c and a Lexmark X75 all-in-one. The Lexmark has a great scanner (although I have no benchmark to rate it against) and a rubbish printer.

I would like to make more space and get a new all in one HP. However i have been on the HP site and got bogged down with all the different ones available.

Does anyone have a good HP (or other good makes) or know of any independent sites I can look on to wade through all the bias/adverts and find out which printer to buy? Budgets ok. I don't mind spending if it lasts a while and prints/scans well.

Alan H E 23:40 04 Mar 2006

Look in pc advisors listings.

salrid 23:53 04 Mar 2006

Thanks very much Alan. Have you ever checked the PC Advisors listings?

Thats the reason I posted this cos it may be unbiased but it aint exactly easy to search the reviews.

The Old Mod 07:49 05 Mar 2006

Hi,Personally I would go with an Epson, simply because, compatible inks are so much cheaper than other makes. They are also good printers/scanners.

anskyber 10:37 05 Mar 2006

Not allowed to quote things like W? mag are we but the recent Computing edition (March) has reviewed all in ones. Best Buy; Canon Pixma MP800. Try your local library.

spuds 12:08 05 Mar 2006

That's the major problem, when you are in the market for a new printer, things can get very confusing. I have a very old HP OfficeJet 590, still chugging away today, with print cartridges still readily available.Then I have a Lexmark X5150 all-in-one, very good print-work, but expensive on cartridges. Then there's the Epson C86 for general printing work, with compatibles at less than a £1.00 each. Finally the Samsung ML-4500 laser, but that's a whole different ball game.

People seem to be recommending Canon and Epson, but be wary, as these manufacturers are getting a little strict on print cartridge replacements on the latest models.A visit to somewhere like PC World, and ask the staff what is their best selling product, could perhaps be a deciding factor.

salrid 18:31 18 Mar 2006

Thanks for all the advice, got loads to be going on with. Apologies for the 2 strings anskyber, I wasn't sure where to post. Understood ref, will try library for W mag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?