.exe problems

MIKE. 10:31 24 Nov 2009

I have a problem on my Vista home PC if I try to download or save a programe with a .exe extension it seems to get blocked. Two progs for example that seem to causing me grief are Mcafee and AVG. I know I can rename the files before saving but is there a way of downloading normaly. Many thanks

babybell 12:47 24 Nov 2009

What error message are you seeing when you download the files in question?

Woolwell 13:18 24 Nov 2009

You shouldn't have AVG and McAfee on the same system. Both are anti-virus and will conflict.

MIKE. 14:11 24 Nov 2009

Thanks babybell there was no error messages. When I downloaded the file it gave the option to RUN or SAVE but neither worked. When I downloaded the programe this morning and was given the option to SAVE, I changed the file extension to *.exd and it then saved itself in the chosen folder. I then renamed the file again to *.exe and then run the programe as it should all ok. It seems to me windows on this PC does not allow .exe files to download.

MIKE. 14:12 24 Nov 2009

I take onboard what you say Woolwell and thanks.

Woolwell 14:27 24 Nov 2009

What anti-virus do you have? It is possible that it is preventing you downloading exe files.

User-1229748 14:40 24 Nov 2009

are you using the vista firewall as when i used it some times when i went to save or run the box would just disappear.it was when i had no anti virus running.

MIKE. 14:43 24 Nov 2009

I had a old version of AVG 8.5 which crashed while trying to uninstal. I had to go to the AVG site to use their unistal tool. This uninstal tool was an .exe file which is where I found the problems seemed to start.

MIKE. 16:23 24 Nov 2009

Yes smackheadz thats what it appears to do. When I am get home I will try and switch off Vista firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?