Excel Run Time Error - Visual Basic

Taff36 13:09 10 Nov 2003

I have used an Excel add on from Excel 97 days very successfully for may years. It is the Expenses template by Village Software. I recently had need to correct one of my sales managers expense files. (He had got into all sorts of format problems) Having sorted that out (I thought) every time I open the file the following message appears from Microsoft Visual Basic: Run Time Error`9 Subscript out of range.

Still seems to work OK but it is irritating and obviously means something. Excel help files haven`t given me a clue. Any ideas please?

BurrWalnut 14:14 10 Nov 2003

Very difficult to determine but it's probably a Dim statement which is being referenced out of its range.

You'll have to go through the code to find it.

Taff36 14:20 10 Nov 2003

Statement - I am DIM !!!!

Could you give me a clue what you mean? I have no real idea what VBA does nor what a Dim statement is. (Out of range I understand though!)Where do I start looking for the code? Note that the error message doesn`t give me the option to debug - not that I could anyway.

graham?v 14:28 10 Nov 2003

Dunno what it means click here

Taff36 15:53 10 Nov 2003

We meet again - thought of changing your name..... sorry not funny.

I don`t understand this either. Give me a word problem anyday. I tried to get into the visual basic editor for this excel file and it is password protected but I really dont know what I`m looking for anyway.

Doesn`t look like VoG is around this afternoon either. Never mind I`m sure he`ll pick something up before tomorrow and point me in the right direction.It`s not desperate just an annoyance. Which gives me an idea.

VoG II 17:40 10 Nov 2003

When you get the error message, do you get the option to Debug?

Do you have access to the VBA code or just a "hidden" add-in.

It is probably an error in a Dim statement that is used to declare an array variable, like:

Dim X(10)

If the code then tries to put a value in X(11), a subscript out of range error will occur. The same with X(0).

Chris the Ancient 19:26 10 Nov 2003

Taff36 is nearest with his password thoughts. I once tried to play with the village thingy, but there is now way to get into the code and play. I think we'll be hard pushed to really sort this - unless someone knows the password. ;o))

Taff, have you got a way of going back to an original undamaged sheet and working forward?

Chris

VoG II 20:05 10 Nov 2003

Sorry for my earler question re debug - I didn't read the earlier post properly.

I can probably find the password (but I'm not going to say how). I'll e-mail you Taff36.

Taff36 09:48 12 Nov 2003

Many thanks - Problem resolved.

VoG to my rescue - he managed to remove the password protection and discovered that I had renamed one of the sheets (Guilty as charged). Renaming the sheet to it`s original name sorted the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts