excel how to merge columns

moorie 18:09 26 Apr 2006

i want to merge 2 columns of data the 1st is numerical ie product code and second is alpha ie product discription so i can copy into an access database . the stock column in the access database is 1 column but i want to search by product code when invoicing?merge column a and b and then copy to access so product code is first

VoG II 18:11 26 Apr 2006

In C1 enter

=A1 & " " & B1

then click in C1, hover the cursor over the bottom right until the cursor turns into a + then hold down the left mouse button and copy the formula down as far as needed.

moorie 18:29 26 Apr 2006

thanks that worked however when i paste it into the access database it lets me paste the first 30 or so entries and then only lets me paste an additional one at a time ps there are 20,000 products

Fellsider 18:52 26 Apr 2006

When you create the access database, instead of pasting data go to (in Access)

FILE

then

GET EXTERNAL DATA

find the Excel file (ensuring the file type is '*xls') and import the whole file.

moorie 19:08 26 Apr 2006

hi tried this and came back with error transferring

moorie 19:22 26 Apr 2006

sorry should have mentioned that i only wanted to import the merged columns but the spreadsheet also contains other info ieprices i only need the merged columns containing codes and discriptions any ideas?

Bren.ie 10:54 27 Apr 2006

After merging the two columns, Highlight new column, Copy and Edit > Paste Special > Values into aanother column column.

You can now copy this second new column into a new Excel file and save. Use this to import data into Access.

moorie 11:30 27 Apr 2006

hi copied the merged columns into a new column but only 1 of the merged columns appears?

moorie 12:01 27 Apr 2006

hi got it to work didnt paste special values like you said sorry,however the next problem is when i go to get external data in access for the table i want to put it in ,the import to existing sheet is not available just new sheet.
it works fine going into a new sheet but where i want is a pre designed stock table from within easy invoicing could it be a size issue or am doing something else wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?