Excel Clones?

montoya 19:40 14 Sep 2003

Can anyone reccomend any free/shareware clones of Excel? I'm looking for something as close as possible to the real thing, which, unfortunately, my bank account won't stretch to!

leo49 19:51 14 Sep 2003

When we sampled the Star Office suite a few months ago, I thought the "excel"-type component was excellent. It used to be free so you might still be able to track down an earlier version on cover disk or on the Net.

-pops- 19:54 14 Sep 2003

Try Open Office.

I've installed in on some machines and it looks good. It is compatible with the M$ office suite. click here

Best of all, it's totally free.

-pops- 19:56 14 Sep 2003

Note Star Office noted by leo49 is built on Open Office and has some added refinements.

Belatucadrus 19:59 14 Sep 2003

There are a couple of free office suites that include excel style spreadheets.

Openoffice click here 602pro click here

I don't think you can just have the spreadsheet though, so prepare for a big download.

xania 21:40 14 Sep 2003

Let's just go back a step. I don't know what your budget will stretch to, but do you know you can get some older versions of the entire MS Office Suite from Ebay for as little as £30. I've actually Office 97 standard edition at a computer fair for £29 for a customer.

montoya 23:11 14 Sep 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions folks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?