Excel 2010 - Workbook Won't Open in Spite of Savng

AroundAgain 19:52 17 Jun 2018
Answered

Hi guys

I'm hoping you can help me. I've been working on Spreadsheet, comprising of three workbooks, linked together, namely Summary, Income, Outgoings and almost finished setting it up.

However, after doing quite a lot of work in Outgoings, linked with Summary, I saved the workbook before closing. I've come back to it after a short while and it now won't open properly. Summary and Income work fine.

When I open the Outgoings Workbook, Excel opens the window but display is totally blank nd grey, like there is no document there. When I open Summary workbook too, then click on Outgoings, it just flicks back to Summary.

In File Explorer, Outgoings file shows as having 392 KB. Summary shows as having on 21 KB but has less calculations, as picks up the data from the other two sheets

Is there any way I can retrieve this file, please? I know I should have backed it up but I didn't :( I also know I should have been saving as I went along but I just got carried away :(

Many thanks for any help and advice. In the meantime, I'll start a new file :(

wee eddie 20:12 17 Jun 2018

Have you rebooted yet?

AroundAgain 20:13 17 Jun 2018

Yep! That was one of the first things I tried, just in case ...

Still doesn't open properly :(

AroundAgain 20:14 17 Jun 2018

Just discovered the Income sheet doesn't open properly either!!!! Argh!!!

AroundAgain 21:28 17 Jun 2018

This is so strange!!!

I've been sent copies of the files of the previous version - and they have the same problem to open.

So, tried on my laptop, same Office version and Windows version - and it does exactly the same!!!

Any suggestions are very welcome, please. Many thanks

wee eddie 21:52 17 Jun 2018

What version of Windows are you running on the pair of them?

AroundAgain 21:56 17 Jun 2018

Hi WeeEddie

PC - Windows 10, v 1803 Build 17134.112

Laptop - Windows 10, v1803, Build 17134.81

Thanks

wee eddie 22:18 17 Jun 2018

No ideas.I running the same setup. W10 and MS Office 2010. Have you another/different spreadsheet that you can test?

AroundAgain 22:29 17 Jun 2018

Hi again

Thanks. I hadn't thought to try opening and amending/entering into another spreadsheet. ;) So, yes, I open two different spreadsheets (having copied them first ;) ) and they opened fine.

I'm thinking this issue could be to do with the links between different workbooks. So, I've made another copy of the Summary sheet, then opened the original Summary file. I'm now in the process of deleting all the links to the Outgoings workbook, to see if that makes a difference. Maybe I've got a link wrong, or something???

Anyway, it's at least something I can try ...

Thanks - keep your ideas coming ... ;)

lotvic 22:58 17 Jun 2018

May I ask why you have 3 workbooks?

I think it'd be easier to have 1 workbook containing all 3 spreadsheets.

AroundAgain 23:05 17 Jun 2018

Hi lotvic

Many thanks for your input.

Within each Workbook, there are tabs for the 12 months of the year, apart from the Summary Workbook.

If there is a suitable alternative, I'd certainly consider it but I feel the friend I'm doing this for would like it this way.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)