Evesham serivce.

Southernboy 14:17 04 May 2005

My new PC was making some strange noises and Evesham sent an engineer to look at it yesterday. He couldn't see any problem but noticed that two fans were showing 0 RPM on the Bios. He checked with another fan from his stock, but the reading was still 0 RPM. He told me that the sensors were not picking up the readings but the fans appeared to be working OK. Is it OK to leave it like this?

He also told me the temperature at which the fans start to increase speed was set too low, and increased it to 64 degrees. I would have thought this was something checked at the factory. Does this sound right?

Lettervanman 15:03 18 May 2005

I am a bit surprised at the Evesham response.I have a newish one from them. It has had a few problems but I have found them very helpful, including on site visits.
However,an email to support does take two days for a reply,and as long again for a visit to be arranged!

Pooke100 16:15 18 May 2005

Tell them plainly it's had faults and you want it replaced. Also contact trading standards,see what they advise. I wouldn't accept this at all your being fobbed off with pretty lame excuses.

Southernboy 22:08 19 May 2005

As I explained, I have had one visit by the Engineer who opened the box up, but could find nothing wrong.

Evesham now tell me it is not their problem as they did not supply the zip drive. I have tried to explain that it is almost certainly a windows problem, as most of the errors occurred using the Windows SEND TO option. Not only did the zip drive fail to respond but, yesterday, the FDD failed to respond when I tried to open a floppy disc. Event viewer logs these as errors by Explorer.exe. That sounds like a Windows problem to me, but I am in their hands as I know next to nothing about it.

Even now, if I put the slightest pressure on my desk, there is still a "ticking" sound from with the PC. I have no idea whether or not this is a problem, but it is unnerving to say the least.

spuds 23:16 19 May 2005

Southernboy-- You are now saying that it is a Windows problem. If so, you will find that most manufacturers do not cover software problems. A re-install of Windows [if you have the disk] is perhaps required!.

If it is a manufacturers component failure, then Evesham should have the remedy for fault finding and correction.

Southernboy 23:37 19 May 2005

No, I am saying that it SOUNDS like a Windows problem. I am not knowledgable enough to know.

Manufacturers who supply new PCs with Windows (don't they all?) are responsible for Windows problems. To be fair, Evesham accept this. The sticking point is establishing that it IS a Windows problem.

Southernboy 16:34 06 Jun 2005

new thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?