Everything is corrupt???? :s HELP!

fourjays 10:17 23 Oct 2004

About two weeks ago, Windows XP gladly told me that the folder 'system 32' was corrupt - the comp rebooted and chkdsk it. A few days later the same happened again, but with 'system'. Then a few days after 'windows'. After that it seemed to stop, but instead the computer would spontaneously reboot at anytime. Everytime XP has told me in the error report it is a 'device driver', and also on a few occasions 'nvidia driver'. I spent many hours trying different driver versions for my card, but still it reboots. I eventually decided to reinstall XP. XP installed fine. But upon trying to install SP2, and many games, I was gladly informed my CD/DVD was corrupt. I then tried these CDs/DVDs in my other computer (with the same make of DVDROM), and it read them fine. So I have replaced the DVDROM, but this morning, XP decided to chkdsk again, and I have suffered more reboots....... What the hell is wrong?

PS: I have DSL, and IE6.0 keeps telling me its offline, and can't find a connection, but if I click 'try again', it works fine.

fourjays 10:21 23 Oct 2004

Before this, I previously had to replace the motherboard, because there was a fault stopping it from reading two sticks of 512Mb memory. After replacing that, the HDD failed, so I replaced that with a SATA 80Gb HDD. Before I tried to add the extra stick of memory in, the computer was incredibly reliable, and would never reboot spontaneously. I have just had problem after problem since the 'upgrade'. lol

JonnyTub 10:29 23 Oct 2004

Try running the system file checker before you look into the hardware side of things

click start, click on run and then type into the box SFC /SCANNOW

press ok (note the inbetween the command parameters)

Have your xp cd to hand.

fourjays 10:57 23 Oct 2004

Well its just finished doing that. It asked for the CD and finished scanning, so I will just have to hope it has fixed it. watch this space.... lol.

But the prob with IE6.0 is still there. It is the message you usually get on dial-up, when you haven't made the connection, and it asks you if you want to 'work offline' or 'try again'. It does it every time I open IE, and often when I change the webpage without clicking a link.

JonnyTub 11:05 23 Oct 2004

try going to control panel, internet options and on the connections tab, put a tick in the never dial a connection box, click ok. Don't know if this will work as mine is all greyed out and "optionless". Probably because i'm on cable. If it doesn't work someone on a dsl i'm sure can help further regarding this.

Out of curiousity and with regard to your hardware going a little potty, are there any exclamation marks in device manager?

fourjays 12:32 23 Oct 2004

The never dial a connection box is greyed out as you said. I think maybe this problem is related to whatever else is going on with my mad computer....

The device manager gave me the following message when I tried to open it, maybe a sign of what is actually wrong, but I have no idea what it is really on about, other than a file is missing:

"MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\devmgmt.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

errrmmmm....... help. I am logged on as admin, with no other accounts, so I should have 'sufficient access rights'.
I checked the path, and the file is present there. After posting this, I will reboot and see if I can access it then.

fourjays 12:36 23 Oct 2004

Just rebooted, and the device manager opened fine, with no errors, or warning signs on any of the hardware....

fourjays 12:47 23 Oct 2004

Last night, I was playing on TRS2004 with no problems at all. Now today, it is stating to me that the OpenGL drivers aren't there......

JonnyTub 13:15 23 Oct 2004

despite there being no exclamations in device manager, i suspect there is a conflict somewhere and most likely the gfx card. Try a beta driver from click here

Do you use an avertv dvb-t pci card?

Failing that perform a system repair, there are quite a few problems that you seem to be experiencing that a repair could sort out.

woodchip 13:23 23 Oct 2004

Other than Memory overheating CPU can corrupt your system

woodchip 13:24 23 Oct 2004

As the cpu been over clocked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?