Everyone Please Read This No.2

€dstowe 15:54 24 Sep 2004

There is a regular number of threads started in these columns asking for ways of hacking passwords or otherwise overcoming password protection that has been placed on this, that or the other application because the original password has been forgotten.

There appears to be a complete musunderstanding with some people the reason for using a password. So, before applying a password to anything, remember what the point of using one. It is to prevent others who don't have the password from accessing the information contained in whatever it is. If that isn't the reason for using a password then, don't use one.

It is thus incumbent on you, who devised and used the password to remember it and do not come on here asking how to over-ride whatever protection using the password gave you. If you can do it, then anyone else can and that makes the whole thing pointless.

If you are using a password - remember what it is - even if that means writing it down in a safe place.

Similarly with Product Keys. These are issued for a good reason and, again, it is your responsibility to show reasonable care in taking care of them. I have suggested before that all Product Keys pertinent to a particular computer are stored inside that computer but, some have disagreed with that. My answer there is that MS require the Product Key for the Windows operating system to be affixed to the machine it applies to so there is no good reason why other keys shouldn't be kept similarly.

Apologies if this seems like a whinge, it's not meant to be. My intention is, like my post on backups, as a reminder to keep your computer running as well as it can.

rawprawn 16:04 24 Sep 2004

Fair comment

SANTOS7 16:08 24 Sep 2004

Whinge not my friend a very valid point, i myself use the same password for everything i have, which for obvious reasons makes it dificult to forget

norman47 16:11 24 Sep 2004

I use a protected folder on the hard drive, this is backed up by a cdr with all relevant information burned on it. Thank goodness I have never needed to use other methods to gain access to password protected material.

As most will know things like gaining entry to an administrator password protected computer is very easy. Even changing the settings so the administrator can not get in. In most cases no additional software is required and can be done with a few key strokes.

But the point is, if this information is bandied around willy nilly, then whats to stop those with stolen or hot computers gaining access to the computer. An absolute nightmare would be if someone irresponsible were to gain administrator rights to a large corporate network system. Thing of the havoc this could cause.

So yes €dstowe, a good post for every one to remember there passwords.

pj123 16:20 24 Sep 2004

€dstowe. Where are you finding these regular number of threads? As a regular visitor (3098) I haven't seen any. Not that I would respond to them anyway.

Like you, I believe "It is thus incumbent on you, who devised and used the password to remember it and do not come on here asking how to over-ride whatever protection using the password gave you. If you can do it, then anyone else can and that makes the whole thing pointless.

If you are using a password - remember what it is - even if that means writing it down in a safe place."

I generally use the same password (with a slight variation) for everything. I know that's not very safe but I don't have anything sensitive or personal on my computer anyway. If someone knows my password and wants to read my emails - fine. They will find them very boring (most of them are setting up their next lesson) I teach IT, and the rest are spam.

picklsey 16:21 24 Sep 2004

i was going to come on to this forum yesterday and ask how to get past a password.as i was setting up a pc for my daughter but in the knowledge that my granddauter would probably get on it to the pc,i set my daughter up as administrator and grandaughter up with a limited account.i put a password on and windows told me it could not set up that password so i kept trying using different passwords and each time i got the same message.i was going to write down the password once it was accepted.i gave up in the end and switched the pc off.when i turned it back on it was asking for a password,after twohrs or so i finnaly got the right one one of the ones it told me it could not accept.sorry for going on but although you have a very good point there are times when people will have to ask that question.as for myself i learnt a valuable lesson not to trust what windows tells you.

only me 16:27 24 Sep 2004

I keep mine in a address book in filing cabinet locked away

Djohn 16:34 24 Sep 2004

click here is one that I responded to today. I'm surprised that you don't see any pj as they come up several times a week. I'm sure that €dstowe didn't need to look to hard to find them.

It's Me 16:36 24 Sep 2004

I find passwords a menace. I use the same one everywhere, as other people here do, so that I will not forget it. Trouble is there are other things you need to be able to access some sites such as banks which are not nessessarily so easy to remember.

Some months ago I went to the trouble of getting a piece of software that provided a sort of box that had an encrypted pass word attached to it, and into this box I put all these these details. Just before we went on holiday it occured to me that if something happened to the PC whilst I was away (got stolen) I would not know the passwords for any of my online accounts, so I took a hard copy and took that on holiday.

Wasn't I lucky. No the PC wasn't pinched, the password that I am still sure is a simple one, has completly left my mind and the box is permanently locked now! The printed info saved my life and sanity, and never again will I trust myself to remember a slightly different password.

€dstowe 16:55 24 Sep 2004

The thread that prompted me to write this was the one that Djohn refers to. As Djohn says, these "password posts" come along all too often and it is so simple to avoid password problems.

pj123 17:05 24 Sep 2004

That is very weird as having responded to this thread saying I haven't seen any the very next thread I looked at was exactly about passwords. I apologise to you €dstowe and will look more closely in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?