Event Log Watch in XP

woodchip 13:33 25 Nov 2004

Event Log Watch in XP, Cannot start Error 2 File Missing.
So what file am I looking for on the XP disc, and the location Please.

woodchip 14:35 25 Nov 2004

^

bertiecharlie 15:29 25 Nov 2004

The Event Viewer files should be in Windows\system32\config and they are called SecEvent.Evt, AppEvent.Evt, and SysEvent.Evt.

woodchip 16:49 25 Nov 2004

Thank's for the above but both files are there in the correct folder but Servises cannot start the Service for "Windows Update" saying the file is missing

JIM 17:00 25 Nov 2004

Have you run the sfc /scannow to see if any different?

woodchip 17:29 25 Nov 2004

Yes but it's still the same I am restoring the Boot and System files at the moment to see if that corrects it. As SFC did not find anything. But I thought that A file as been changed the Windows Messaging service that my WordPerfect 8 Suit insists that it should work, before it will install. I had turned it off on the XP computer as I know it is a Security risk

JIM 17:35 25 Nov 2004

Will keep an eye open for you to see how your doing.

woodchip 18:26 25 Nov 2004

No change by putting System files back, So decided do go the Hog and Restore a True Image file I created. And see if the problem was there when I created it. If it is I shall Have to go farther back with older Image

JIM 19:41 25 Nov 2004

Good luck hope it goes well, glad your can go back further may be needed.

woodchip 23:00 25 Nov 2004

No Go so far just restoring the oldest Image, Then it's back to the Restore disc. I have also the full XPhome but no Idea where to start with the above problem, tried XP repair and it asks for Administrator Password, I never made one

JIM 23:55 25 Nov 2004

I know you have the full XP home so this will poss not apply in your case or the rest but will post for poss use sometime.

You may unless you reboot with the cd inplace first have the following message.

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.When you click on details,you get,

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the instructions for a new installation.

Warning: The default setup options will replace your existing version of Windows with this version. If you wish to keep both versions you must select a new destination folder for this version of Windows. If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

The "above" is new to me as when requiring a repair with a recovery or OEM I did the following.

When you have loaded the xp/cd and click install.

On the first screen you have the option to press "enter"for the setup of XP or press R to repair,using the recovery console.(You do not press R to start the Recovery Console)

You have to press enter at that screen "Not---R". The next screen will be the EULA,license press the F8 key to agree to that.

The next screen will prompt you, saying that setup has detected a previous windows install."Now" you will select "R" or the key it prompts you to press for that option.

Windows will now perform a repair of the original Windows installation.

Rem. 1st screen press Enter on keyboard.

2nd screen press F8.

3rd screen,select the option for the "repair"

Will not be asked for admin password etc.

But you will have to reinstall windows updates etc.
--------------------------------------------------

You have the full retail but i believe what i said with regards the (On the first screen you have the option to press "enter"for the setup of XP or press R to repair,using the recovery console.(You do not press R to start the Recovery Console) applies. Have a look.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?