ethernet problem

campal 09:34 16 Dec 2005

Iam trying to run my internet from a usb connection to an ethernetnet connection on ntl , all the drivers are present i turn everything off connect the ethernet cable ,and turn it on again but i have no connection, put usb back on and no problems , HELP

PaulB2005 09:37 16 Dec 2005

You are connecting to NTL Cable Broadband?

You don't have an Ethernet port so you have a USB-Ethernet Convertor?

What do you mean by "i have no connection, put usb back on and no problems "

campal 09:43 16 Dec 2005

YES I AM CONNECTING TO NTL CABLE BROADBAND AND I DO HAVE AN ETHERNET PORT I HAVE A USB CABLE AND AN ETYHERNET CABLE

martjc 09:49 16 Dec 2005

...has both types of connection? Or is it just a usb connector. We don't know - we can't see your system. By the way, shouting [using capitals] usually gets you nowhere on this forum.

campal 09:51 16 Dec 2005

What i am saying is that when i connect via usb it is ok but when i connect by ethernet it does not work. even after switching off and re booting

campal 09:53 16 Dec 2005

yes i have both types of connection

PaulB2005 09:53 16 Dec 2005

1) Don't SHOUT

2) The reason i can't give you the answer straight away is because you haven't made the problem very clear.

If i understand correctly you have both Ethernet and USB connections on the back of your PC and the back of the Cable Modem. If you connect via the Ethernet alone then it doesn't work but adding the USB Cable makes it work. Correct?

What happens if you use ONLY the USB cable?

PaulB2005 09:54 16 Dec 2005

So why not just use the USB connection then if it works?

The connection has to be configured for either Ethernet OR USB - i guess yours was set up for USB.

martjc 09:58 16 Dec 2005

...to use your connection for a home network? If so you will need a modem/router.

campal 10:00 16 Dec 2005

i have been using the usb happily but the engineer came round last week to fix another problem and said that an ethernet connection was better yes i have both connections but ethernet will not work

campal 10:01 16 Dec 2005

no i am not on a home network

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?