Errors re. System32/Autoexec.nt in Windows XP

nigelo 10:51 02 Jan 2005

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed.

I have been receiving the following error when attempting to install older programs: "16 bit Windows Subsystem C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications"

I have tried the fix suggested by J3nks in a previous thread. This involved copying the Autoexec.nt file from the i386 folder, pasting it into the System32 folder and making it read only and hidden.

However, I now receive the following error message:
"The Win16 subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH"

I am only a layman and am very frustrated and confused. Microsoft's Support site only makes me more baffled.

Help!

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:36 02 Jan 2005
  nigelo 11:55 02 Jan 2005

Thanks for the link, but this error is occuring when I try to install software, not run it.

What does all this talk about "program's .pif file" mean?

Still confused!

ACOLYTE 11:57 02 Jan 2005

You could try this click here

Xp fix .exe dload and save then run it.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:15 02 Jan 2005
  nigelo 17:51 02 Jan 2005

Thanks, Acolyte. Can that download be trusted. I've never heard of "Visualtours". Sorry, I'm probably being over-cautious!

ACOLYTE 18:04 02 Jan 2005

lots have used it for the same error, i have to say though with mixed results.

ACOLYTE 18:05 02 Jan 2005

Sorry i wouldnt tell you to download it if i thought it would do harm,maybe wait and see what other people have to say.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 02 Jan 2005

Xp fix .exe recommended and used by several people on the forum with no ill effects.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?