Error 41

Furkin 11:21 07 May 2006

Hi all,
I bought a Brother 3820 Multi FUNCTION device in march last year. I've not been happy with it from day one !
1/ can't connect to phone line cos it disables B.Band ???
2/ Can't use line 'loop through' (like I usually do) as this feature is for US users only.
3/ Print quality never been great.
4/ Uses far too much ink with persistant Self Cleaning.
Now I get error 41, which looks like a common fault.
Any ideas on how to fix this please ?
I have read that the print head can be cleaned (!!) How/where do I locate that please ?
I won't be bothering with Brother stuff again, so advice on another Actual FUNCTION Device would be appreciated !
thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 07 May 2006
  Furkin 14:00 07 May 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat,

Wow - I didn't realise that it was such a problem. It also seems as if it's been around for years. I know that Brother are trying (!!) but it really is a bad state of affairs.

Oh well,,,,, tomorrow (Monday) I should have contacted Brother & ought to know more !

I won't be buying Brother again.

Furkin 07:52 09 May 2006

What a surprise ! I had a call from Brother today (Mon 8th) after my e-mail of yesterday. They say that an engineer will be round within 2 days to put on a NEW re-designed Print Head. I thanked him & suggested that he look forward to my further call in a few months with the same problem. He said that the new heads are a complete new design & will fix the problem !

Watch this space - will update a,s,a,p.

Whatever happens,,, I will be looking for an alternative machine.
If I can't get a decent all-in-one,,,, I would consider a Minolta 2400 colour laser & separate scanner/copier,,, & do away with the fax side all together (I can't even plug the damn thing into the phone line anyway,,, so it useless !!)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Furkin 11:12 10 May 2006

Update on my dealings with Brother.

I sent Brother an e-mail on Sunday 7th May re Error 41 on my 3820CN. The next day I got a call from them saying that a 3rd party engineer would be with me within 2 days max. Today (Wednesday 10th) at 10-00 a.m I got a call from the engineer who was on his way to me. It’s now 11-00 a.m. - Job done.
I can’t knock the service.
The engineer did say that since Nov 2005 he has been to a couple of addresses on ‘more than one occasion’ to replace the replacements, & that the new printheads are exactly the same as the originals,,,, & that they send the old p.heads back to Brother for refurbishment !!!
My machine is a 14 month old home unit. I have only printed 198 items, but replaced all cartridges 3/4 times. The last lot were non originals – the engineer didn’t say anything about this.
I havn’t been pleased with this machine from the get go,,,, but have put up with it.
The Service this time was great – but I have lost faith in the products.
Cheers all

Furkin 19:50 05 Oct 2006

oh well,,,,, that didn't last !
Since the new (??) printhead I've lost magenta & yellow printing.
Brother agree that it might be the p.head,,,, but as it's a couple of days out of warranty, they can't send anyone round !
I'v finished with this Company for good.
Now tho', I need to clean the printheade & more importantly, know how to re-set it once its done (hopefully)
Any ideas please ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

8 digital brands that designed custom typefaces to save millions

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?