Epson printer ink cartridges lasting five minutes!

seahermit 18:59 07 Feb 2017

Well,maybe slightly longer .. a friend bought me a new inkjet printer last November, Epson Expression XP-432. I did online research and the printer is regarded as basic but fine for my needs at present, mainly B&W text prints, very occasionally a colour image. It seems to work well and produce prints of reasonable quality. But the ink costs are horrendous - almost £30 for a set of four XL Epson inks from PC World (printing won't work if any one of the cartridges is empty) and I am replacing all four cartridges every few weeks. Three weeks ago I bought a new set of four colours - all four have since had to be inserted into the printer as "replace cartridge" messages came up, even though I have only printed between 20 and 30 B&W text documents and done no colour-prints at all. PC World told me that the colours are to some extent used even for B&W prints, but clearly this level of cost is unmanageable - if I went to my local business printer's, 20 prints would cost me £1 or £2! I would be grateful for any advice on what I might be doing wrong

bumpkin 19:20 10 Feb 2017

Apart from being better quality I have found that more expensive printers are more economical in the long term. Have you considered re-filling your cartridges, easy enough and much cheaper than even compatibles.

seahermit 23:37 10 Feb 2017

Thanks again. The printer actually came out quite well in online reviews but next time definitely a good idea to search for something more economical to use. I resent all these retail rackets nowadays, the only way is to be smarter than they are! Refilling cartridges - yes, I'll look at that too if I still can't get the costs right down

mole44 07:20 11 Feb 2017

I got this at the Christmas sale at pc world (Don't normally buy at sales) came to £119.00 with discounts and cash back from Epson.It doesnt use cartridges but the ink comes in 70Ml bottles at £9.99 a bottle ,it comes with the 4 full colour bottles.The usual applies buy a cheap printer and you'll get hit with expensive refills, any way this ids my printer click here

seahermit 06:43 16 Feb 2017

Well .. following all the helpful advice above, I checked out the suggested alternative suppliers of ink cartridges. The first thing I noticed was that the Black cartridge is generally claimed to last for 470 A4 pages (the coloured inks for somewhat fewer pages). No doubt these claims are exaggerated, even so I got only a fraction of that number of prints from my Epson cartridges – probably not as many as 100 prints. That suggests to me that there might have been a connection or other problem with my printer, Secondly, the third-party suppliers do not actually seem to be a lot cheaper! At PC World I paid £27 last time round for a pack of 4 XL ink cartridges – Ink Factory and Stinkyinks are charging £22 and £25 respectively. Not a massive reduction, although obviously it all mounts up over time. However, the free delivery helps a bit too - saves time! I am seeing how it goes and how many copies I can chalk up before the printer gives up on me again.

BT 08:50 16 Feb 2017

Secondly, the third-party suppliers do not actually seem to be a lot cheaper!

What you really need to check is the actual quantity of ink in the cartridges. The number of pages can only be a very rough estimate, what you need to compare is the volume in ml's this can vary quite a lot. Some of the cheaper suppliers only have around 6ml, while the better ones can be 15ml or more.

seahermit 15:37 16 Feb 2017

I did actually look for the "capacities" of cartridges - that info was not clearly stated, only the number of prints highlighted - surely a reasonable rough guide for comparison purposes? After all, how many I end up getting for my bucks is pretty much my bottom line!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)