Entering websites with security issues?

bob987 12:08 20 Sep 2015

On my phone sometime the error message "there are problems with the security certificate of this website" comes up.

More often than not I still proceed onto the website.

I have learnt that if it is still your regular website than it is perfectly safe to enter. If not that it can be very dangerous. How can you tell if it is your regular website or not?

How can I tell if I am still safe or not? What steps can I take to protect myself considering that I did proceed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:54 20 Sep 2015

there are problems with the security certificate of this website

1. The organization issues their own certificates, and they're not a recognized Certificate Authority
  2. It's a subsidiary company using the Parent Company's certificate -or vice-versa
  3. The certificate has been revoked or been corrupted
  4. you have been redirected to a "dodgy" site

Make sure your date and time is correct as some sites will throw up the message

How can you tell if it is your regular website or not? because you don't get the error message

bob987 13:26 20 Sep 2015

Ok so as an example if I search bbc sport, the error message comes up. I still proceed and I end up on bbc sport. Does this mean than that everything is ok and I have not been redirected?

spuds 13:50 20 Sep 2015

"Does this mean than that everything is ok and I have not been redirected?"

Not necessary so, because some websites might be designed to look like the real thing. So caution is always needed when advisory error messages appear.

Not sure about phones, but for computers and laptops, there are a number of downloadable programmes, that might help in finding a site that is perhaps not recommended. Here's one that might be worth considering or at least having a read about click here

bob987 14:14 20 Sep 2015

Ok thanks. I am 100% sure the website was the real thing. It was a forum as well. The only time I have proceeded onto the website is on my phone and I have never used my phone to access bank details etc..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)