Enhancing PC Sound?

SoundFiend 16:31 04 Apr 2004

I have been looking around for some software to help improve the sound i get from my PC. I have a Phillips FW-M777 which i have hooked up the the USB but im looking for a higher quality sound. What steps can i take to improve it? Maybe a new sound card or some software?
My budget is low and i currently use WinAmp5.

Thanks.

fuzzyone 16:36 04 Apr 2004

click here. The Audigy card @£49
also gives you a game and firewire port.

click here Creative p-580 £40.

A good setup for £90

Giggle n' Bits 00:38 05 Apr 2004

er if the Creative P580 are too many in number the Creative Inspire P380 are just as good and I put money on there better than the philips sound.

edstowe 06:36 05 Apr 2004

You will never get a computer to sound as good as a stand alone audio system. The biggest problem is the background noise of the computer itself - the cooler fans, hard drive rumblings and so on.

€d

I am not an audiophile and neither do I play games but recently I installed a set of Creative 6700 speakers from Ebuyer (£60) - simply fantastic 6.1 sourround sound.

Then, wanting a little more than my on board could give me (Well, to be honest, I could not get the 6.1 working properly) I installed a Creative Audigy 2 24 bit soundcard.

The results are simply incredible and if I were not an audiophile then, I am certainly getting that way now!

Cost a little high, but worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)