Engineer callout on broadband upgrade

  CurlyWhirly 07:31 08 Sep 2004

I was anxiously awaiting the new online check limits that BT made available on the 6th September to extend the limit of the 1 Mbps service from 4 km to 6 km.
I have placed an order for an upgrade on September 6th from my present 512 Kbps service to the 1 Mbps service.
I was sent an e-mail a few hours later saying that the upgrade will take around 7-10 days from the date I placed the order.
What I was wondering is what exactly is the procedure regarding engineer callouts?
When I typed my telephone number into the BT Wholesale website I got the followng message:

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband. Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1 Mbps, 512 Kbps or 256 Kbps download speed.
However due to the length of your line the 1 Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service."

I am ALMOST certain that I won't have to pay for the engineer callout (which I wouldn't mind paying anyway as long as I could get the faster service afterwards) but I am unsure what I would have to do IF the 1 Mbps service was not stable due to the line being too long or noisy for example?
Would I have to contact BT (as they service the telephone infrastructure) or would I have to contact my ISP (as they provide the internet service)?
I know that I may be 'jumping the gun' as I haven't been upgraded YET but I would just like to know all the facts first!
Thanks in advance for your help.

  spuds 11:06 08 Sep 2004

BT will send out an engineer to check the local boxes for your connection, and make any necessary minor adjustments.There was no charge for this, as it was part and parcel of the package.

But be warned, after you have connected to the new service, you will then find if there are any problems. Took three engineers visit to solve the 'local box problem'.

  CurlyWhirly 13:10 08 Sep 2004

Thanks. I have rung up BT and they said that in the event of my connection 'playing up' I contact my ISP who will in turn contact BT and ask for an engineer to come out and install a face-plate.
This sounds a bit long winded but that is the procedure!

  spuds 16:59 08 Sep 2004

Usually yes. Your ISP is the normal point of contact in the first instance, unless of course you know it is a BT fault ie linedown etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)