Empty folder windows recovery using Ubuntu 18.04

Technotwise 00:32 10 Sep 2018
Answered

My Asus K55A Windows 10 laptop stop working when my dog stomped on it few weeks ago. I have managed to get the power button on. Already had several windows errors since then such as error code 0xc000000f. All Windows System Recovery Options such as Startup Repair and System Restore not working for me.

I am fully aware I definitely need to re-install windows as the only solution at this point, this is not a problem for me!

The main poblem is HOW CAN I SAVE MY FILES IN MY DOCUMENTS/DOWNLOADS AND PICTURES before I re-install windows???

I have use different methods I found on youtube IT videos help/ online forum to retrieve my documents but still my documents folder still reading 'EMPTY' with each methods I tried.

As a last restort, I am using the Ubuntu Live Try Installation, but it been 2 days and couldn't traced any of documents folder as they all read empty. Under the 'On This COMPUTER', it shows 'My Computer' have storage of 2.6GB/3.1 GB available, 'DATA' have 573.1GB/577.6GB available. I was thinking my word documents/photos/downloads files are still somewhere within the internal system since the DATA is showing over 500gb storage. My laptop have 1TB storage.

Any suggestion please? Thanks

Please need help with this??

polymath 09:57 10 Sep 2018

This site is worth a search, with forums and a 'how-to' section). I found them very helpful with another Windows access problem. I had this Linux Newbie forum bookmarked, as that's what I am - I'd guess you are too, as you posted in a more general forum?

If you need to start your own topic, do read the guidelines first (the folks there are extremely helpful, but they prefer questions that aren't already answered somewhere on the site).

click here

Jollyjohn 15:33 10 Sep 2018

I am wondering if you had any encryption / enhanced security on the hard drive, this might explain why there appears to be data on the drive but it is not readable by any other software??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 10 Sep 2018
Answer

Have you tried using bootrec to repair the boot files?

1. Restart your computer and use bootable DVD/USB to boot it.

1. If prompted for the key, press any button on the keyboard.

2. Select the language, time, currency and keyboard and hit Next.

3. Select the OS you want to repair and click Next

4. Now, inside System Recovery Options, select the Command Prompt.

5. A black screen will popup will a blinking cursor. Type bootrec.exe inside command prompt and press Enter key on the keyboard. It will start rebuilding the BCD and your PC will be back to its normal state.

0xc000000f-2

For some reasons, if rebuilding the BCD doesn’t work, you should delete the previous BCD and rebuild it again in order to have a brand new Boot Configuration Data. For this purpose, you need to type the following commands inside command prompt. Press Enter after each line of code.

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd –s –h –r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)