Emails retained by server

dave24 16:33 19 Sep 2008

I am using Windows Mail and, having downloaded all my emails yesterday, on downloading today's messages, I find that all of yesterday's are received again! I have ensured that "Leave a copy of messages on Server" is unchecked, but what else do I need to do?

Forum Editor 17:13 19 Sep 2008

Send yourself a message in the morning, and see if it's been deleted when you do the next send and receive.

dave24 15:07 21 Sep 2008

Thanks, but it is still happening - fortunately intermittenly, but today I downloaded over 1000 messages!

dms_05 16:53 21 Sep 2008

Check the Account settings.

Go form Windows Mail to Tools and highlight your Account. Then select Properties and open the Advanced Tab. You will see a box (bottom of that page) saying 'Leave messages on Server'. Is that ticked?

dave24 14:04 22 Sep 2008

"Leave messages on Server" is unticked, as recorded originally.

DippyGirl 14:11 22 Sep 2008

What about on the server side. Several eg GMAIL have an option to say if POP client can delete or leave messages... if there is a conflict I dont know how wins - guess the server

dave24 14:17 22 Sep 2008

Thanks for the thought. I have phoned Orange - at an extortionate cost - and they reckon that there is no problem at their end. It never happened when I was using OE, but having just switched to Vista, I am now using Windows Mail, but it is not that different from OE.

dave24 17:16 23 Sep 2008

The problem appears to have solved itself, as the situation has reverted to normal over the last couple of days. Maybe it was a temporary glich at the server after all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts