email technicalities

russ-rich 18:39 23 Oct 2005

Can someone please help me with some technical bits for some research I am doing.
When I send an email, say with my laptop from a hot spot (or from a blackberry or equivalent) is there any way that anyone can ascertain physically and specifically where I am on the planet when I send that email?

AndySD 19:54 23 Oct 2005

Yes. In exactly the same way they track mobile phones. But it would need to be a goverment body etc. Not simple for us mere mortals.

pauldonovan 21:05 23 Oct 2005

If you send an email it will probably have IP addresses in the headers... that could be used to track down. What else is available to the government? AFAIK the requirement for ISPs to keep data hasn't come into effect yet...

pauldonovan 21:06 23 Oct 2005

If you send an email it will probably have IP addresses in the headers... that could be used to track down. What else is available to the government? AFAIK the requirement for ISPs to keep data hasn't come into effect yet...

pauldonovan 21:06 23 Oct 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming