email arrives blank

palinka 17:03 12 Feb 2005

a friend tells me that emails I (and others) have sent to her recently have arrived with no subject and/or "sender unspecified". Doesn't apply to all emails and there seems to be no discernible pattern to which are affected. Is this a virus?trojan?or similar?

VoG II 18:20 12 Feb 2005

Which ISP is she with?

palinka 18:37 12 Feb 2005

ktdinternet - it's a local computer place.

end 19:02 12 Feb 2005

does she read them on server or download them into OE?

palinka 19:21 12 Feb 2005

downloads them into OE. Now have further info about this problem: all was Ok until yesterday when she received an email from local council (so a legit email, no probs there) contining 2 attachments. one opened Ok; the other gives error message "Document name or path is not valid. Check file permission for document or drive; or use the file Open dialog box to locate the document".
And since then all incoming emails arrive with From:sender unspecified; and Subject: no subject.
I'm going to do a system restore, but would welcome any advice about possible reason for tyhis and solutions other than Sys Restore.

FelixTCat 19:31 12 Feb 2005

Do NOT assume that something from a council is not infected. There is no reason to believe that their network management is any better than anyone else.

Check in Outlook Express - Tools - Security. The settings may be preventing the attachments showing up. By default OE refuses to show many attachments which, if you have regularly updated anti-virus software, you should be able to decide for yourself whether you want to see and open.

end 19:35 12 Feb 2005

(oh well; so much for that idea for solving my problem::)))(back to the drawing board for me)

palinka 19:43 12 Feb 2005

thanks for these thoughts. Have not yet done sys restorte, but Because i receive the same stuff from the council I've forwarded my copy of same email/attachment to her and they've arrived and open OK. Why the others don't is still a mystery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts