E-mails disappeared from hotmail mailbox

willnewcastle 21:52 17 Mar 2010

I have been having problems with my hotmail account for a while now, first my friends started to receive spam messages that appear to come from my e-mail address, and yesterday I signed into my hotmail account to find that most of my e-mails are gone! What can I do? I'd like to get the messages back, and make my account safe again. I dont want to delete my account because its my main e-mail address that I've been using for a long time.

tullie 22:15 17 Mar 2010

Did you change your password?

willnewcastle 22:24 17 Mar 2010

No, I havent changed my passwork yet, will it solve the problem?

johnnyrocker 22:31 17 Mar 2010

first thing to do change to a safe password and should be ok, plus a malware sweep in case of keyloggers

johnny

willnewcastle 22:49 17 Mar 2010

Will I be able to get the deleted e-mails back? And how do i do that malware thing?

northumbria61 23:02 17 Mar 2010

You could read this.

click here

lotvic 23:54 17 Mar 2010

Firstly I would change your password, but make sure that your alternate email address that they send the 'password change' to is correct in your Account.
Windows Live, Hotmail Options:
""Add or change an alternate e-mail address
When you sign up for a Windows Live ID (The e-mail address and password that you use to sign in to Windows Live programs and services such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger; Microsoft services such as Xbox LIVE, MSN, and Office Live; and anywhere else that you see the Windows Live ID logo.) , you aren't required to add an alternate e-mail address (An alternate e-mail address is a secondary e-mail address registered with your Windows Live ID. If you forget your password, you can have the password reset information sent to your alternate e-mail address.) , but we recommend that you do. If you forget your password, your alternate e-mail address can be used to reset your password.
You must be able to access the e-mail address that you provide without signing in to Windows Live ID sites and services.""

Logon and click on 'Options'>at the bottom click on 'More Options' then under 'Manage your account' click on 'View and edit your personal information' This is where you can check/change the alternate email address.
**Note that it must be another email address and not your hotmail one**

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?