e-mail receipt

Lemur 09:43 12 Aug 2003

I maintain an address list of members of my club. Twenty five of those members have e-mail addresses.

When I send circulars by e-mail, only a few members actually respond, the remainder remain silent. In the absence of a) my getting a message from the Mailmaster b)using the automatic receipt request system every time c) getting an e-mail address wrong, can I be sure that all twenty five members have got the message? In other words, does silence mean that the message has reached the recipients computer please?

Thank you.

Jester2K II 09:47 12 Aug 2003

You can't be sure ever.

Even if you ask for a receipt the recipient doesn't have to return one!!!

You could send out an e-mail asking for people to confirm that they are receiving these messages, but then again you can't make people answer...

If you are using Outlook, you can ask for a Delivery Receipt. This is different from a read receipt in that the user at the other end doesn't have to answer any questions.

To enable this, create a new email, this click on View | Options and click the "Request a delivery receipt for this message".

Jester2K II 09:57 12 Aug 2003

Please clarify. I can't see View, Options in Outlook or Outlook Express.

There is a tools, options in both but then i can't see this "Request a delivery receipt for this message" option either.

GroupFC 10:24 12 Aug 2003

Nor can I!!

Belatucadrus 15:49 12 Aug 2003

click here you could try messagetags free, I have no idea if it's any good.

-pops- 16:08 12 Aug 2003

I've used msgtags (as per Belatucadrus) for some weeks now after I suspected that some emails were going astray - they were, don't know how or why but they were all recorded by the program. It works fine in my opinion!

Brian

tenaka 16:56 12 Aug 2003

Did you go to the view menu within the email you opened? Not the view option in Outlook/Outlook Express itself.

The option is there for me.

Using Outlook 2000 SR1

Jester2K II 16:58 12 Aug 2003

tenaka - i see.

GroupFC 17:10 12 Aug 2003

I can't see it in OE6, but I see you use outlook 2000. Unfortunately, I only have outlook 97 and I can't see it in there either!

Lemur 21:32 12 Aug 2003

Thanks to all. The only idea I had any luck with was the MSGTAG system, which I am now trialling.

I am by no means a computer expert, but it does seem to me that the various versions of Outlook have been a bit hit and miss over this subject, and one might hope that the latest version could perhaps be changed to incorporate the facility!?

MSGTAG looks to be what I need, so I will now close the discussion. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts