E Mail from Microsoft?

geoff47 21:14 07 Apr 2003

Have just recieved an E Mail supposedly from Microsoft,allegedly a security patch for Outlook Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.
Now I know I am not usually a suspicious person..
But do you think Bill has mailed me out of the goodness of his heart....or do you think it maybe a malicious mail......HELP ...I haven't opened the attachment yet...should I?
Thanks Geoff47

monkeyshine 21:15 07 Apr 2003

If you open it you'll get a virus.

MAJ 21:16 07 Apr 2003

As far as I know MS don't personally email updates, delete it, geoff47.

: : Radioactive Frog : : 21:20 07 Apr 2003

mmm i agree with the others, the day Bill starts emailing people personal updates will be the day he starts giving people a version of windows that never crashes !

:o)

geoff47 21:25 07 Apr 2003

HHMMM thats what I thought....me and him aint even on speaking terms since I put linux on my computor...but seriously will it hurt deleting it?
I have heard deleting can trigger some of these things...I have Zone Alarm no good? and Grisoft AVG...will that do the job?
Geoff47

geoff47 21:25 07 Apr 2003

HHMMM thats what I thought....me and him aint even on speaking terms since I put linux on my computor...but seriously will it hurt deleting it?
I have heard deleting can trigger some of these things...I have Zone Alarm no good? and Grisoft AVG...will that do the job?
Geoff47

VoG™ 21:25 07 Apr 2003

I agree, it's a virus.

geoff47 21:26 07 Apr 2003

There its started.... posting twice already.
OK I did it by mistake...
Geoff47

VoG™ 21:27 07 Apr 2003

Cross-posted.

Deleting it cannot activate the virus and even if it could then AVG should stop it.

: : Radioactive Frog : : 21:27 07 Apr 2003

you should be ok deleting it as long as you don't open it!
best thing to do is ensure your virus checker is up to date first and running and then once you have deleted it run the virus checker if you are really worried !

hope this helps !

geoff47 21:36 07 Apr 2003

First time a frog has helped me....just updated...deleted...and run scan...AOK.
Good job I didnt panic !!!!
Thanks for that all.
Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?