E-mail from Microsoft?

mattyc_92 17:39 02 Aug 2005

Hi, I have just checked my AOL e-mail, and I have recived an e-mail from "Microsoft" with the subject "The benefits of Genuine Windows".

This e-mail asks to go to the MS website to see if my Windows is Legal (which it is and I have already done)

I do not recall giving Microsoft my AOL address, only my Hotmail.

Does anyone know why I am recieving e-mails from MS when they SHOULDN'T know that my address exists? Could it be AOL forwarding my address to MS?

As usual, thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 02 Aug 2005

Pobaly a spammer or worst directing you to a fake windows site to verify you e-mail and worst access you password / details

delete the e-mail!!!

mattyc_92 17:46 02 Aug 2005

Thanks for your repsonse, but it is a "orginal" e-mail from MS. It is layed out as they usually lay their e-mails out, and the website it links to is a real "subsite" from the MS site.

It links to "http:// www. microsoft.com/uk/windows/genuine/default.mspx" but obviously, without the spaces.

Should I try to contact MS and ask how they got my e-mail address? or just leave it?

Belatucadrus 18:32 02 Aug 2005

I've also received one, but as connecting to the link gets a security certificate warning, genuine or not it's been deleted.

mattyc_92 18:34 02 Aug 2005

Thaks for your response Belatucadrus.

Being as I am not the only one to get this e-mail, I will tick this thread...

Thanks for all replies made.

palinka 18:51 02 Aug 2005

as I understand it, and as advised regularly in the Forum, Microsoft NEVER send you (ie anyone) emails.

mattyc_92 18:55 02 Aug 2005

They actually do, but you need to tell then you wish to revieve these e-mails. For example, I have signed up for the "Monthly Download Newsletter" which tells me the LATEST programs (free and comerical) that I can download from the MS site. But this is only for my Hotmail address, not AOL.

O well, if I recieve another e-mail from MS, I will contact them asking them how they got my addy as I don't recall giving my AOL addy out to MS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?