E-mail Delay

SABRE 22:20 03 Dec 2003

Have gone on to broadband with BT and am using BT Openworld for e-mail. Problem is that e-mails are taking about 18 hours from being sent, to arrive in my Inbox(Outlook). Any ideas?

VoG II 22:25 03 Dec 2003

How often have you asked Outlook (not Express?) to check for new mail and which version of Outlook please?

SABRE 22:26 03 Dec 2003

Strange thing is when I send an e-mail to myself at [email protected] it arrives immediately.

SABRE 22:28 03 Dec 2003

Am using OUTLOOK and it is set to send/recieve every 10 minutes. I also regularly hit the send/receive button.

DieSse 22:44 03 Dec 2003

emails are not an "instant" technology. They can take varyng amounts of time to arrive, from virtually instant to several days.

Clearly to yourself, they don't have to go anywhere except get routed straight back inside the BT servers.

If they go via other routes, however, the time taken depends on the "busyness" or the route - the servers etc etc.

SABRE 22:50 03 Dec 2003

Was with Blueyonder before and the longest I had to wait for an e-mail was about 15 minutes.

DieSse 23:21 03 Dec 2003

You've identified where the delays probably are then - in the bt mail servers.

When one of my ISPs was having problems with their mail server recently - some test emails I sent took up to a week to arrive - but they finally did - much to my confusion, as I wondered at first where they had come from!

DieSse 23:22 03 Dec 2003

Arebt doing virus and spam checking? - this could be a possible reason for delays.

Or they may just have some temporary problems due to faults.

woodchip 23:30 03 Dec 2003

I have seen this before with BT Mail

Stuartli 09:34 04 Dec 2003

Tiscali can sometimes take up to eight or nine days to deliver e-mails...:-(

Yet if I do a check and send one to myself it arrives back virtually instantaneously.

SABRE 10:04 04 Dec 2003

We are on BT Broadband at the office and all e-mails come into my PC. I use Outlook here as well and there are no problems, all e-mails arrive within a short while. It's just this new connection at home that's a problem. I sent a short e-mail from the office at 5pm last night to home and it still hadn't arrived at 08.30am today. Something funny going on. Trouble is if you try and call BT you spend 3/4 hour in a ruddy call Q.
I thought Telewest's response service was bad but BT's is bloody awful!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?