DVD's freeze player !

curlylad 22:22 12 Jan 2006

Sometimes when I try to play DVD's in my DVD ROM drive my PC freezes.
Can anyone help ?

Win XP Pro

SG Atlantis® 22:25 12 Jan 2006

does everyone running xp pro have identical computers?

A bit more info on what happens and the system spec would be good.

What player/s are you using?

curlylad 23:24 12 Jan 2006

Sorry I took a while to get back I was just checking a few things out.

OK spec - XP Pro , AMD Athlon 2079MHz 2800+ , nVIDIA nForce 2 IGP , 480 MB DDR SDRAM, MSI MS-6777 MOBO.

DVD - ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X Max.

I ran the system file checker and all was OK.However when I just clicked on the drive in device manager and clicked the DVD Region tab , under 'Current Region' it said 'Not selected' , so I selected UK (Region 2) and when I clicked OK it said 'Unable to update region setting.Please make sure the drive contains a region 2 media and you have administration privilege.'

I am the administrator so whats happening ?

curlylad 23:54 12 Jan 2006

I just tried logging on in safe mode as administrator but I get the same message as above.

If a region is not selected in the region setting could this be the problem ?

I also had to recently re-install windows , does this mean I have to install a decoder ? If so where can I get one from , what type do I need , are they free ?

ashdav 02:56 13 Jan 2006

try this.click here If you've got any DVD software installed (WinDVD,PowerDVD,etc) remove it first.

curlylad 17:45 13 Jan 2006

Thanks ashdav , I will give this a go.

However I still have nero 6 installed for burning , ripping etc , do I have to remove nero 6 for this to work ?

Totally-braindead 17:50 13 Jan 2006

When you say "sometimes" does this mean that sometimes there is no problem? If so what DVD player software are you using. WinDVD or PowerDVD?

curlylad 12:38 14 Jan 2006

I am not using either of those , the only DVD related software I have at the moment are WMP and Nero 6.Are you saying that unless I do as ashdev suggests and use WMP with the codecs then I have to use either WinDVD or PowerDVD ?

I did originally have PowerDVD installed on this PC but because of various reasons I had to format and re-install Windows , the only problem with that was that the PowerDVD software was installed when I purchased the PC and I now cannot ask the company to reinstall as it is a TIME PC and they have gone bust !

pj123 14:50 14 Jan 2006

You say you have a "DVD - ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X Max" and then later that you have "nero 6 installed for burning , ripping etc."

You can't burn to a DVD-ROM or do you have another DVD burner?

Either way, for a free DVD/CD Audio/Visual player/Recorder try JetAudio from click here.

Scroll down to the bottom and select Basic Download on the Jetaudio 6 version.

ashdav 16:09 14 Jan 2006

Leave Nero in. It will probably work better after you've installed following my link (scroll to the bottom. There's an update).
Don't use Nero to watch DVDs. It's a bit flaky. Especially if you've not got a lot of ram.

citadel 17:27 14 Jan 2006

I can recommend windvd 7 gold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?