DVD Writers

Gary 23:35 06 Oct 2003

I am looking at getting a DVD Rewriter drive and have seen the LG-GSA-4040B. Does anyone have any experience of using this drive?

Also, how long is it likely to be before blue laser technology is employed in consumer drives?

Thanks

Gary

woodchip 23:41 06 Oct 2003

Why do you need the DVDW do you do Video editing, PS they are coming cheaper all the time just like CDRW did. plus you will be waiting a long while for blue CDRW. JUST THINK OF THE PRICE OF THAT wow

Gary 23:48 06 Oct 2003

I don't do Video Editing atm, although am thinking of buying a DV-camera soon so that is one consideration. At the moment, I'd be using it mainly for backing files up. I use my PC for design and publishing work as well as digital photography so I have to work with lots of large files. My digital camera's memory card is bigger than a CD, so recordable DVD seems like the perfect storage solution.

woodchip 23:52 06 Oct 2003

I dout your digital camera's memory card will hold 700mb I have only seen them go to about 128mb

Gary 08:38 07 Oct 2003

I have a 1Gb (1000Mb) IBM Microdrive memory card in my digital camera.

the don 15:29 07 Oct 2003

I've got an LG 4040b (£130 at DABS) and it seems pretty good (although my PC has blue screened several times since, but this is more to do with my PC than the drive - I think!).

Unless you need to cover all formats (DVD RAM is good for video work / incremental backups etc but slow) - you may be better off with one of the faster +R/RW & -R/RW only drives available from other manufacturers.

The latest batch of magazines seem to have done a couple of group tests - LG wins most as all formats covered, rather than performance.

Final point, the free s/w with the 4040b is awfull, I bought Nero6 (which is really good) - but that effectively made the price for the unit £170. Other drives (like the Sony) come with better software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?